Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
DA,

I think that over the course of these months I have collated enough information on the new IMac and I am ready to order although it will be very likely that when the computer will be delivered I will be at work.

I was wondering who did delivered your imac's in UK and if they have provided an extimate hour of delivery for the day the computer was due to be delivered.

If they only comunicate morning or afternoon that will be enough for me as means that I can arrange to be at home for half day rather than the entire day.

Thanks everyone for your replies, the more reply the better!!!

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
For the UK it was UPS to Surrey. As far as I remember, they only specify a day and although you can track it up to the point where it gets onto the van, you don't have any way of finding out which part of the route you're on. My iMac arrived mid morning, my iPad (ordered first day) didn't show until early evening.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Rjs2 thanks for your re, lucky you that you got it that early... you must live quite near to their depot..

Once the day was confirmed did any of you tried to ring UPS to have a possible forecast (morning or afternoon) ETA?

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Rjs2 thanks for your re, lucky you that you got it that early... you must live quite near to their depot..

Once the day was confirmed did any of you tried to ring UPS to have a possible forecast (morning or afternoon) ETA?

I tried ringing about the iPad. It was after 5 and I wanted to know when I could STOP expecting it to be delivered. She still couldn't give me a time, but said they were generally out until 7:30. I think it arrived somewhere between 6:30 and 7.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Quite annoying having to wait the entire day.. I see there no option to forecast the delivery time... Damn!

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I HAVE A VERY GOOD SOLUTION!!!

If in fact it IS being delivered by UPS, check with UPS.com and see if they offer the "My UPS" service in your country. It's free to sign up. Once you sign up, you can select a shipment from your list of shipments, and change the delivery on it from your computer. If they allow it, you can change your delivery to a "Will Call" which is free. So rather than the shipment going onto the truck for delivery, it will be held, put aside, and you can come pick it up. THOUGH, I am not sure if this option will work for you, because Apple usually, well, almost always, requires that the driver makes one delivery attempt before it can be held for pick up at the facility. But it never hurts to check. Also, with "My UPS" you can reroute the delivery to a UPS Store for $5.00. They have UPS Stores in the states here in places like Staples and such. Though you MIGHT run into problems with the whole "delivering to another place other than your address" thing again, but like I said, it's worth a try, and to sign up is free. Now, where I think your BEST luck will be, is once you sign up for My UPS, can you choose an option for a specific delivery, for UPS to give you a 2-hour delivery window. Meaning, lets say they will tell you that it will be delivered between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. Then once you have this information, you can adjust your work ahead of schedule. Now I've never used this option, as I've never needed it because UPS and FedEx always come here at roughly the same time. But still, I think you should look into it. It never hurts to look.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
large farva, you made my day... I need to verify the option for the 2 hours window delivery as that would be ideal.

Thanks a lot!!

----------

although people moan about UPS, they are, along with Fedex one of the premier couriers you can get. You should try receiving stuff from parcelforce and Yodel, then you'd really know hatred.

Don't tell me about Yodel please, I have had to return to items with them to amazon and they are the worst ever.

First item was on their tracking system stuck somewhere in Yorkshire 200 km away from the supposed address for a week and I emailed them to have some detail of when they would have delivered the item and the answer was "we don't know, check with amazon and ask them to raise an investigation".

Contacted Amazon that kindly informed me that they have received the item the previous week.

Second delivery same story, tracking number showing the in London for few days, asked amazon the item was delivered.

If I have a choise I will never use them.

With parcel force I did not have any particular problem..

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
large farva, you made my day... I need to verify the option for the 2 hours window delivery as that would be ideal.

Thanks a lot!!

----------

Don't tell me about Yodel please, I have had to return to items with them to amazon and they are the worst ever.

First item was on their tracking system stuck somewhere in Yorkshire 200 km away from the supposed address for a week and I emailed them to have some detail of when they would have delivered the item and the answer was "we don't know, check with amazon and ask them to raise an investigation".

Contacted Amazon that kindly informed me that they have received the item the previous week.

Second delivery same story, tracking number showing the in London for few days, asked amazon the item was delivered.

If I have a choise I will never use them.

With parcel force I did not have any particular problem..

you mean Parcel Farce

Terrible experiences with them too.

yet no bad experience with multiple UPS deliveries.
FedEx though, just couldn't be arsed to deliver a guaranteed before 9am next day delivery from Germany, until I started shouting at them down the phone and then they put it on a bike. They simply didn't show up, and when i phoned them , they couldn't even offer any explanation apart from "we will deliver it tomorrow'. They soon changed their minds, when I told them i would be sending them a bill for a days work missed.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
UPS, same as everyone else. Annoyingly I'm at the end of the route and didn't get home in time for the 7pm delivery so had to wait till 7pm the next day (a day I was home all day)...it was a long day :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.