Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Sometimes my iPhone battery will die with anywhere from 25-35% battery remaning. If I try to turn it back on it will give me red battery icon and turn back off as if it is completely dead.. eventually not even turning on for me. However as soon as I plug it into a charger it comes back to life with it's remaining battery.. I can unplug it and it will let me drain all the way down to <5% like it would under normal operation...

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Maybe time for a visit to the Apple Store? I'm draining it down until it dies right now and then recharging on my charger all the way until it hits 100% and then leaving it for 2 hours as I've seen posted around the interent to maybe sync up the battery 'meter' again.. hopefully that works. If not I'll probably be going to the Apple Store this weekend unless someone here has a solution. Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I had this problem with an old MacBook. It would always die at 50%. A quick plug/unplug would show the battery at 25% or so and I coul drain the battery all the way down to zero

I surmised that the battery had one bad cell, probably the third one. The plug/unplug would allow to skip that cell.

Perhaps that what you have going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.