Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
My sister is soon leaving for college and my family is giving her our Mid-09 Macbook Pro.

For the past few months, the system has been slowing down and freezing a lot, so i reinstalled Lion (current OS and I'm not planning to go to ML unless I need to), and the system is performing better. I believe the current hard drive is corrupting, and I finally got a new one today (just in case anyone looks this up- a great hard drive is any WD scorpio series. I have had one running pretty much 24/7 in my macbook and not a problem whatsoever. Nor have I had any problems with any WD product. Don't get me started on seagate though...)

Anyways- so the new HD is ready to go, but how should I copy the (possibly) corrupted disk? I have another macbook, as well as firewire cables and a 2.5" portable hard drive SATA to USB adapter.

My first guess would be CCC but I don't know if that is a good idea if the disk is possibly corrupted. Also, I would like to keep her current files on the computer, no clean install most likely. I can negotiate on that though...

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
CCC or SuperDuper will work fine. They basically do the same thing. However this will be an exact copy, so if there is any software issues then it won't help. All you have to do is plug the new disk into the 2.5" adapter and hook it to the computer. Once the new drive is formatted using Disk Utility, just open up CCC and do the transfer. Rip open the macbook, replace the drives, boot up, and you are in business.

If you want to test the new drive before you spend the time taking the computer apart, restart and hold down the option key on startup. You can then select your new drive and see if it boots correctly.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Ideally, you don't want to copy corrupted data. That's why you maintain a backup, so you have another copy of the data, in case something goes wrong with the first disk.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might try CCC, SD, or Migration Assistant first, to see if you can get away with using them.

It may work, it may not.

If you have a drive that you suspect is corrupted -- or has corrupted data on it -- perhaps the best way to get things off of it would be "manually".

That is to say, copy a folder (or group of folders) at a time, and keep careful HANDWRITTEN notes as to what you have copied (so you don't go in circles).

You really don't need to copy the entire OS -- just data files and folders.

I would start with the home folder.
You CANNOT copy folders such as "pictures", "movies", "music" (i.e. the "main folders" within the home folder -- these may be symbolic links?), but you can copy everything else (files and folders) that reside "beneath" these main-level folders.

Once done, check her home folder on the NEW Mac, and see that things are where they should be.

After that, you can manually work on folders/files that reside OUTSIDE of the main OS X folders.

The reason I suggest the above approach is that during an automated process such as CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper, or Migration Assistant, the process may "choke" if it comes to a file (or group of files) that are corrupted and can't be copied.

However, if you are "manually copying", and receive an error that a file can't be copied, you can take note of it, and "work around it", copying _good_ files and leaving the bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.