Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhjohansen

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I have the same problem on AT&T.. It's kind of sketchy. Sometimes my messages and pics go quickly and others just plain fail. It seems independent of cell signal strength. (Cell strength is sketchy in itself here at home! 1 bar while an adjacent iPhone 4 has 5 bars)

andino05

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I have an ip5 on sprint and had the problem from day one. I conducted a speedtest when I can send messages and get sprint average 3G speeds. And conducted speedtest when I can't send messages and get decent download speeds but no upload. At the same time I ran the speed on my wife's galaxy also on sprint and was able to get upload speed. So rather than a messaging problem I thinks it's a network problem were the iPhone struggles to upload data.

----------

I also wante to note that signal strength doesn't matter. The phones uploads speed would just drop to zero and my messages won't get delivered nor would my Facebook posts. I encorouge others having this problem to run a speedtest and check their upload speeds when having problems sendin messages

kuisis

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
My new iphone 5 locks sometimes on a text and the keyboard won't come up and I have to reset the phone to get the keyboard to come up again. I am going to call apple Monday, it's been happening more frequently.

nowhereman07

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Won't receive or send texts if not in 4G

My iPhone 5 (on AT&T) will not send or receive text messages while not in 4G mode. It will drop to 3G when I am in areas where 4G isn't strong enough, but it will not send or receive through 3G. Signal strength is always great. The texts won't queue up either. When someone sends something, I just won't get it. Same with me sending. There aren't any failed messages, they just don't get to the intended recipient. Any suggestions?

bjcskier

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
This was also happening to me a TON on sprint. Recently switched to Verizon but the month I had the iPhone 5 on Sprint it did this all the time.

Oddly, the receiver of the text says they still get it even when the phone says it wasn't sent.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Im having the same issue on both orange and three in the uk. Infact I'm getting the phone replaced over this and the fact it keeps going to no signal so hopefully the next one won't do it.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Having the same issue on Sprint here in San Francisco. iPhone 5 64GB White. On 3G and on WiFi.

Seems to happen on both the cellular network and WiFi with non-iMessage SMS/MMS over iMessage.

Sometimes it happens the second I press send, and if I 'Try Again' it will sometimes go and sometimes immediately fail again.

This may have something to do with the network dropping issue that many seem to be having with the iPhone 5. Apple's discussion board has a huge thread on it. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?tstart=30

I think all this will be ironed out soon enough and I hope everyone is enjoying their new toys. I know I am! The iPhone 5 is really, really slick.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Anyone else seeing the issue? I'm having the issue still although less frequently after 6.0.1. update.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Unless you're sending imessages then yes those go out via wifi. But not regural texts.

Non MMS iMessages may also take a while to send if you have poor cellular data, even if connected through WiFi, since they try to get sent over cellular data.

nicmeredith

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I am on Sprint, and I had this issue multiple times today alone with texts and imessage. I have already updated with the most recent update. This isn't a life or death matter, it is pretty annoying though. I hope it gets worked out soon.

marksmck

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
It is not the signal

I'm on Telstra LTE in Aus. Having problems too but it is not the signal. The phone will reply to messages just fine.... But it has decided it won't send new messages on a new conversation thread at all. Green bubble. Not delivered. Failed to send.

jillbarnett

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
iPhone5 Repeated Text Failures ATT

I'm having the same problem with new phone, which never happened with my old iPhone 3GS, both ATT.

Text message constantly failing to send. Get "not delivered" with red exclamation mark.

Someone posted about low bars back in Oct. Bars were low, only 2, so I turned off phone, restarted, cut and pasted into ne text and it went through fine.

JB Seattle

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
I'm having the same problem with new phone, which never happened with my old iPhone 3GS, both ATT.

Text message constantly failing to send. Get "not delivered" with red exclamation mark.

Someone posted about low bars back in Oct. Bars were low, only 2, so I turned off phone, restarted, cut and pasted into ne text and it went through fine.

JB Seattle

In the past two days on VZW I have had at least 15 fail. I restarted the phone as well and it worked. The only change I have made was the latest update. Well while typing this its not working again. :/

amatrine

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Having the same issue. Wifi connection issues, double txts, it will start to send blue, say not sent then turn green. calls drop, when using wifi, when it does connect. Does not even pick up wifi a lot. Going in for second replacement today.

Im starting to think this phone really has issues, and now Im stuck with it.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I would say this has been fixed via an OS update because I do not see it anymore at all.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
+1
it's bacause of Sprint bad signal !!! i have two friends with iphone 5 on Sprint & they both confirm about this issue ( delayed texted and slowness....) even short battery life due to crappy signal strength... one just switched to Verizon ( paying ETF) ... i had similar problems with Att over the years... i finally stop being cheap and jump to Verizon... it's all good for the last 11 months :)

good luck

monkeynuts

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Same problem here. Definitely seems to be signal related. Have IP5 with latest IOS. Happens to non Iphones so far. Happens to my friend's droid on verizon, and my own daughter's blackberry on my own att account. I've taken the phone to att and they swapped out the sim and sent me over to apple. Apple gave me a new phone and the problem still exists. Disabled LTE, no more problem. With LTE enabled, i can literally hold my phone in one spot, (my bedroom), and watch the signal fluctuate from 1 bar, to all bars. try to send a text to my daughter's phone in the next room with 1 bar, duplicate texts. Wait until I have more bars, sends perfect. Now the million dollar pissing contest question which probably neither will admit to, Ios or at&t network? AT&T had me restore from icloud. Literally the last thing for me to do is restore as new phone, which sucks, and I doubt will fix it. If that doesn't work, i guess it's 4g network for me, in which case I guess I should have kept my 4s!

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
the real problem is iMessages somehow being turned into text messages after they show a delivery confirmation...I started to invesitigate this when I saw 11.75 added to my bill for international texts...since february this has been happening to me

monkeynuts

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Ive also tried with imessage turned off and had the same results. This morning I restored as new phone. The only thing I set up was my email, contacts (via google), and calendar (via google). I could go the same spot in my bedroom and watch the same fluctuation in signal (LTE), and imediately duplicate the problem by sending a text and having my friend receive my text twice. Switch to 4g, no problem. If I restored my phone to a new device and have switched off imessage, wouldn't that point to a different cause? Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.