Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
actually, yes. you lose thousands by trading in, but you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling a used car.

You save hundreds on taxes when trading in a car
You can get a good trade in price, you just have to negotiate with the dealer

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'll pass on this. I have always sold my older generation iPhones on eBay with pretty good success. Especially since I know I can get much more than $199 for my i5 than if I traded it in to Apple.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Damn I'd get way more money on craigslist.

eBay too, even after the fees, one reason I never bothered with Gazelle either, they offer way less, but it is the ease of getting rid of your old device for Cash that people like.

Does anyone know what Apple charges to exchange an iPhone 3GS in Black with 8GB? I have one to sell but it has a flaky wifi, and Power/Sleep button doesn't work all the time, well most of the time, I have no use for it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Exactly. Apple or any business doesn't understand this and tries to seek the biggest margins. The only people would trade-in are completely oblivious people.

newsflash -- people like my dad, seniors, and other non-techies arent posting their phones on craigslist. they just want to go in every two years and come out w/ a new phone. if we they can get 50 or 100 bucks off, great.

----------

god get over yourselves...non-technies like my parents dont give a crap about craigslist, and that doesnt make them "lazy". just *different than you*.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Source?

I just looked up what apple would give me for my 32gig 4s

It was $231 for good shape. Not that unreasonable. Maybe 50 off from what i would get on CL
You don't need a source if you're just speculating/guessing, which is what the OP was probably doing.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
wow, great offer!
i wish that these rumors are true. will definitely switch to iphone if this thing turns out to be true.

CandyCane23049

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2009
I just did a trade in at Best Buy last week with my 4s for a 5 and it was so convenient. I got $215 for it and my upgrade was $149 not including tax, I got the extra money on a Best Buy giftcard and was able to get some accessories for my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.