Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Where can an empty Pegasus R4 be purchased?

I have a Drobo full of drives I would like to transfer to a R4.

I cannot answer your question... but beware -- In a machine like a Pegasus R4 with a hardware RAID controller... you want to use qualified enterprise drives. They have better command timeout, and other features. If you are using cheaper consumer drives in your Drobo... you may not get good (i.e.: stable) results by transferring them to a higher end box.

Check the compatibility list. When I bought my R4, only certain Hitachi DeskStar & Seagate Barracuda models were qualified. Mine was shipped with Hitachi DeskStar.

/Jim

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Where can an empty Pegasus R4 be purchased?

I have a Drobo full of drives I would like to transfer to a R4.

It looks like the R4 doesn't come in an empty configuration! Here are the models Promise is stating are available:

Pegasus R6
6 x 1TB Model: 6TB of raw capacity (4.7TB formatted with HFS+)
6 x 2TB Model: 12TB of raw capacity (9.7TB formatted with HFS+)

Pegasus R4
4 x 1TB Model: 4TB of raw capacity (2.7TB formatted with HFS+)
4 x 2TB Model: 8TB of raw capacity (5.7TB formatted with HFS+)

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
At the OP, what is your usage scenario? I personally have a Drobo, which I don't think is generally recommended for any sort of enterprise work, but as a file server and storage for all of my media files, it works great and has single/dual drive redundancy. Again, I use it in a consumer context though and not for any sort of professional/enterprise setting. Depending on what you need your array for, this could be something to consider as well.

b0redom

macrumors regular
May 4, 2007
You're all mental. Firstly, if it's domestic use, rather than Enterprise use, the performance difference between 'green' disks which are lower powered and run cooler is minimal at most.

Secondly in either a corporate (or home environment if you're paranoid) you should NEVER do RAID-5. RAID-6 is a minimum RAID-10 for commercial use.

To the OP. How fast does this all need to be? I have a HP microserver running 5x2TB WD greens as RAID-Z2 (effectivly RAID-6) and it's more than performant enough for my needs (in a domestic setting).

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
OK. I will buy the DATOptic eBOX_TeSU3 in a day or two\
http://www.datoptic.com/hardware-raid-jbod-enclosure-with-thunderbolt-usb3-0-esata-five-drives.html

Cuz I have MP and mini MAC so I can use it in both systems

Look a round there is no other TB - eSATA and USB3.0 with this price and functions

I think I will do the RAID5+HOT SPARE with 5x 3TB HDD (desk top drive)
Will report back, once i have the system

If there is other enclosure I should take a look b4 i spend the money. Please let me know

Last edited:

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
From the specs, there is only a single Thunderbolt port. No daisy chain.

If you review the other Thunderbolt products on their product page, you will find a Thunderbolt to SATA component for $139. It too has a single Thunderbolt port.

Looks like this is an adapter so one can use their existing HW RAID controller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.