Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:13 AM   #1
IAmRobbieDTS
macrumors newbie

MacBook pro 2009 Windows XP

I know this is the topic of much discussion so im sorry for those who have dealt with this many times before, BUT, im trying to install windows XP onto my 2009 MacBook pro (Snow Leopard) - i have all the original disks, etc. Apparently it is possible to install XP IF you have the "Snow Leopard Install Disk" - i have this... and still have no idea how to get drivers or whatever. Ive tried installing Vista, XP AND Windows 98 but to no success.

HELP?!
IAmRobbieDTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:43 AM   #2
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

On my Late 2008 MBP I'm running Win7 without problems. Are you installing via Boot Camp Utility or manually? You acn try to make another partition manually and then install Win XP there without the Boot Camp utility. Then if it worked simply insert the SL-DVD on XP to install the drivers.

Last edited by OllyW; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: clean up after moving thread
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3
IAmRobbieDTS
macrumors newbie

Ive only tried installing via the bootcamp utility, i got as far as choosing which partition to select while installing windows, however the installation couldnt find the partitioned part of my hard drive. I've read that its as easily as getting the drivers from the Snow Leopard Install DVD but i cant work out how to find them on the disk.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:14 AM   #4
chibiterasu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmRobbieDTS View Post
Ive only tried installing via the bootcamp utility, i got as far as choosing which partition to select while installing windows, however the installation couldnt find the partitioned part of my hard drive. I've read that its as easily as getting the drivers from the Snow Leopard Install DVD but i cant work out how to find them on the disk.
Read this to see where your going wrong http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boo...tall-setup.pdf now the drivers are on the install discs for snow leopard, so what do you do with a disc put it into the disc drive in windows and install drivers, Simple.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
IAmRobbieDTS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiterasu View Post
Read this to see where your going wrong http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boo...tall-setup.pdf now the drivers are on the install discs for snow leopard, so what do you do with a disc put it into the disc drive in windows and install drivers, Simple.

perfect, everything sorted, windows installed and works perfectly - the problem was formatting the Partitioned area of the harddrive - i had forgotten that THAT part of the harddrive was still in "mac mode" and had to be formatted in order to be used with windows.

thanks a lot for your help guys, sorry if it seemed like i was an idiot - im a newbie (as my forum status apparently states.)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
chibiterasu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmRobbieDTS View Post
perfect, everything sorted, windows installed and works perfectly - the problem was formatting the Partitioned area of the harddrive - i had forgotten that THAT part of the harddrive was still in "mac mode" and had to be formatted in order to be used with windows.

thanks a lot for your help guys, sorry if it seemed like i was an idiot - im a newbie (as my forum status apparently states.)
Yes it needs to be in ntfs, on a side note depending or what your doing Mac can read ntfs but not write to it, go and get paragon ntfs if you need to fix this http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ or in windows if you want to read or even write to you mac partition then grab Paragon HFS+ http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/ or you can do it the old fastioned way with a fat32 usb stick or drive but that only supports files up to 4GB. Glad to be of help
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

No problem dude. When I installed Win for the first time I had the same problem
That's something BootCamp should automatically do for you if you asked me.
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac