Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1
trickyur
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Macbook (3,1) Battery Not Charging

My Macbook won't charge at all. I have two power cords (original and one that came with a friends Macbook Pro purchased earlier this year) -- both experience the same issue:

When charger is plugged in, the green light turns on (on the charger) but the battery doesn't charge. I can use the computer fine while the computer is connected to the charger, it's just when I remove the charger, the computer shuts off. My battery says it is at 0% and I have done the following things:

- Applied the MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 (when I went to install it said I do not need this update).
- Reset the SMC.
- Shut down the mac in every which way.
- Reset the mac.
- Took out the battery
- Made sure there is nothing interfering or dirty on the magsafe connector

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Version OSX 10.5.8

Any ideas?
trickyur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
hackerwayne
macrumors 6502a
 
hackerwayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyur View Post
My Macbook won't charge at all. I have two power cords (original and one that came with a friends Macbook Pro purchased earlier this year) -- both experience the same issue:

When charger is plugged in, the green light turns on (on the charger) but the battery doesn't charge. I can use the computer fine while the computer is connected to the charger, it's just when I remove the charger, the computer shuts off. My battery says it is at 0% and I have done the following things:

- Applied the MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 (when I went to install it said I do not need this update).
- Reset the SMC.
- Shut down the mac in every which way.
- Reset the mac.
- Took out the battery
- Made sure there is nothing interfering or dirty on the magsafe connector

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Version OSX 10.5.8

Any ideas?
Whats the battery cycle count? Whens the last time you replace the battery? if the battery is the one that came with the Mac, then you will need a new one
__________________
Octo MP, MacMini 06, 13" MBA, iMac 06, rMBP13, iP4S
Hobby: Hacker, Creator of MLPostFactor
Life: Repair & Salvage Macs
Quote: Nothing is impossible. Twitter: @Wayne_819
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyur View Post
My Macbook won't charge at all.
Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. Check the number of cycles and your battery health. It's likely time for a new battery, if you haven't replaced it before.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
RRutter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Send a message via AIM to RRutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. Check the number of cycles and your battery health. It's likely time for a new battery, if you haven't replaced it before.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJ always has the best advice but yes, the same thing happened to me. My battery quit holding a charge.. It's just an old battery! Order a new one on Amazon, that's where I purchased mine and it was much cheaper then what the Apple store tried selling it to me for!
RRutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
trickyur
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Guess it's the battery...

Turns out my Battery Health is 0%, I've had 753 Cycles...guess it's about time for a new battery, huh?
trickyur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyur View Post
Turns out my Battery Health is 0%, I've had 753 Cycles...guess it's about time for a new battery, huh?
Yep. It sounds like you got your money's worth out of it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro battery charging bigsnowdog MacBook Pro 2 Sep 1, 2013 10:40 PM
Macbook battery sat now not charging trsblader MacBook 2 Jun 21, 2013 10:02 PM
MacBook Pro battery not charging mb32 MacBook Pro 0 Jun 10, 2013 07:48 PM
Macbook Pro New Battery Not Charging Ivangoh123 MacBook Pro 5 Apr 24, 2013 11:50 PM
MacBook charging battery without having been unplugged andrv1126 MacBook Pro 3 Mar 9, 2013 12:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC