Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will G.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I currently only have the 2gb that came with the Mac Pro. I'd like to add another 4gb for a total of 6.

I've found two 2x2gb sets that appear to fit all the necessary specifications for around $40 on Amazon, from Nemix ram and Mitecs. Does anyone know anything about these brands? Does the company you buy the memory from make much difference?

Is there anything else I need to consider? I've never done this before so I just want to make sure I don't forget anything.

Thanks!

cosmos

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
It seems like it would work from the specs given. Another source that I have had great success with is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1066-memory

They have a lifetime warranty on all of their memory. I had a failure. It was replaced with no questions and without any hassle from them. I have not had any issues with any of my numerous purchases from them. They have knowledgable staff and great support too.

Something to consider...

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Quality components.....

have a premium price, but for peace of mind, I always prefer reputable brands for RAM. Like Crucial, Kingston and in less extent Corsair. If the memory you need is PC6400 DDR2 ECC maybe you can make an online search and see what can you get, from the aforementioned brands.

:):apple:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I currently only have the 2gb that came with the Mac Pro. I'd like to add another 4gb for a total of 6.

I've found two 2x2gb sets that appear to fit all the necessary specifications for around $40 on Amazon, from Nemix ram and Mitecs. Does anyone know anything about these brands? Does the company you buy the memory from make much difference?

Is there anything else I need to consider? I've never done this before so I just want to make sure I don't forget anything.

Thanks!

Of these 2 I'd choose Nemix ones. Lifetime warranty, Micron chips. Just tell them that you want sticks to be packed safely. Few people complain in reviews about poor packaging.
RAM is RAM. As long it's compatible, new and has long warranty, I'm always choosing cheaper one over "premium priced one". Usually one and another is built from that same components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.