Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
Hello, I have just bought a new 27" imac fully speced. It was a bit of an impulse buy and I'm wondering what most people on here use their macs for other than work.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know, I'm new to mac and just wanted to get a few ideas as to what I'm going to do with it when it turns up.
You do with it whatever you would use any computer for. Why buy a computer if you don't know what you need it for?

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
You do with it whatever you would use any computer for. Why buy a computer if you don't know what you need it for?

Like I said it was an impulse buy so didn't really "need" it. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, how has owning a mac improved your day to day life?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Like I said it was an impulse buy so didn't really "need" it. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, how has owning a mac improved your day to day life?
Is this your first computer? Computers perform some functions better and faster than humans, so using a computer can save time and can accomplish some tasks that would be difficult or nearly impossible for a human to accomplish without one.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
Is this your first computer? Computers perform some functions better and faster than humans, so using a computer can save time and can accomplish some tasks that would be difficult or nearly impossible for a human to accomplish without one.

Yes it is my 1st computer. I have an ipad and iPhone, I also have an Apple TV.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Yup

It has because Time Machine covers the backups without my intervention, and it's bare metal restore as well. The OS stays out of my way and is logically organized for my purposes.

Spotlight quickly (Command-Space) gets me to that file or folder that I've lost somewhere in the folders.

I use two monitors and mission control to spread the work out and use control up arrow to nav quickly between tasking.

Mail is uncluttered but flexible enough for me.

Lately, the interoperability of icloud has really helped. My notes, calendars, textedit docs, even bookmarks in my ibooks all sync across my devices.

Sure, there's hitches every now and then. But I've been around long enough to know just how incredibly advanced this ecosystem is, so I work around hitches rather then let it stop me.

These are just some of the reasons, there are others, but I gotta scoot.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Like I said it was an impulse buy so didn't really "need" it.

Wow, wish my pockets were that deep. Besides messaging, watching movies, gaming, music and what we all are doing here to view MR there really isn't anything one does with a computer that's not work related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.