Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Hey guys, i have an opportunity to get a PC AMD 5870, can it be flashed to have the grey apple boot screen?
I currently have a EVGA 560ti, it works fine but no boot screen, I'm running 10.8.2
I have no problem flashing video cards, I'm just looking for a PC video card that can be flashed to have the grey apple boot screen, and work in 10.8.2 without hacking .kext files.

thanks in advance

Mac Pro 4,1

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
What you will need to do is called research.

Over at Netkas.

You will need to join to be able to download the files.

A little understood fact is that EVERY flashed 5770,5870, and 6870 is a result of Netkas unlocking the EFIs and creating these flashable ROMs. If he had not done this, NONE of these flashed cards would work. (Try putting Apple's 5870 rom on any other 5870...won't work, it is locked)

Best you can get is to have boot screen show up on DVI port but ONLY if you use DVI to VGA adapter. The other card flashing guys have been encouraged to finish these ROMs and fix the boot screens. They have not found the time or energy to do any R&D of their own, so these roms have not moved forward an inch. (They prefer "copy & paste" method of R&D)

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
thanks for the reply, I checked netkas before, I saw lots of people flashing the cards to make it work, but wasn't sure if they also got the boot screen. My 560ti is working great, but I really want the boot screen, that's why I am considering selling\trading my 560ti for another PC card that can be flashed to get the boot screen, and somewhat the same performance as my 560ti.

I only use 1 monitor which is DVI, and rather not have to use adapters, if the only way the 5870 will work is with a DVI to VGA adapter I rather not go that route.

*EDIT* I did some googling, and it looks like the AMD 6870 will give me the apple boot screen from the DVI Connector, without any adapters, is this true?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.