Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I think Apple's 9 hours claim is very conservative. If I keep to 75% screen brightness, be careful not to have too many apps open at one time, I can easily get 10 to 11 hours out of my 11".

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
The battery life thing isn't 100% fair, since it does weigh about a half-pound less than the 13" MBA. Sony claims 6 hours or so without the extended battery, which is almost what Apple claims for the 11" MBA (which is approximately the same weight as the Vaio).

That said, Windows 8 is extremely awkward to use without touching the screen at least some of the time.

Apple claims 9 hours for the Air - 50% longer than the Sony

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I think Apple's 9 hours claim is very conservative. If I keep to 75% screen brightness, be careful not to have too many apps open at one time, I can easily get 10 to 11 hours out of my 11".

Seems to be the case with the 13", too.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013

Same here. I'm pleasantly surprised, after reading all the horror stories of battery life on the 11" (and mine's an i7, too). I got about 12 hours out of it recently.

Porkaysi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
when i sold my i5 and had cash in hand, i was between me ordering my CTO Macbook or a sony pro; so i went to see them in person. it was a very nice machine but with a student discounts on both the MBA was slightly more money but it had better cpu and double the SSD. couple of reasons why i did not go with the sony was the hinge is weird and if u have the laptop screen tipped back it lifted the chassis and made it feel awkward to use .OSX is so much better then windows and i believe with mavericks that lead is gonna increase by a whole lot more. while they say windows track pads are getting better i feel like macbook are the gold standard for keyboards and track pads, nothing is better in my own opinion. also All the new ultra book are getting 1080p and new Samsung's are 3200x1800, which will undoubtedly look great but they all have worse GPU's then the air by a good margin. i do very light pc gaming so having a gpu where a can play games steady at native resolution is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.