Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Does anyone here know how to remove the hidden folders Mac OS X creates on thumbdrives, namely the .trashes folder and Spotlight folder? I'm trying to update my Japanese TV using a flashdrive, but it's complaining about the software update not being the only thing on the drive. I've reformatted twice and the only thing other than the software update file are those folder OS X creates automatically. I don't have a Windows machine to connect to, so what other ways are there to delete those hidden, system folders?

xBlue

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
The way I take care of that is by having BlueHarvest installed. It also removes the Thumbs.db (Windows) and other annoying files and folders. There are other alternatives as well.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I remember reading a thread talking about how to do this, but can't for the life of me remember how to do it. Try searching the forum..should be possible to find it...can't be more than a few months back.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Open Terminal, type cd /Volumes/<your thumb drive> and type:

rm -rf ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ .fseventsd/

Eject and use the thumb drive. The next time you plug in the drive those items and folders will be recreated

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Open Terminal, type cd /Volumes/<your thumb drive> and type:

rm -rf ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ .fseventsd/

Eject and use the thumb drive. The next time you plug in the drive those items and folders will be recreated

That did the trick. Thank you for your help! :)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Since Leopard, OS X comes with a utility called dot_clean. Just open terminal and run dot_clean to see the parameters.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Since Leopard, OS X comes with a utility called dot_clean. Just open terminal and run dot_clean to see the parameters.

dot_clean doesn't get rid of .Trashes and the other OSX created files and directories. In this case it will just merge ._.Trashes with .Trashes

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I specifically used dot_clean to remove the trash files from my SD card. I have a cheap DS flash cart that, for whatever reason, continues to show files and folders I have deleted in its menu. I guess the menu shows hidden files and scans the entire card without regard. I have used dot_clean many times to remove the trash folder and its contents. I didn't do anything fancy, and it did remove the trash files and folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.