Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:28 PM   #26
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Maybe they are rolling it out slowly... The 8-10 week estimate is probably the time it will take to be available in all markets..... You were probably one of the lucky early people..... Do you have any friends that live nearby who also have the iPhone 5 and are on a tiered plan? Maybe you can have them try it, to confirm my theory.

On a sidenote, AT&T will have to do better than this to get me to drop my unlimited plan... I never use facetime anyway.... But I'm sure this strategy will get a few people off unlimited, they will continue to bait people little by little.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #27
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Sweet.
I think that's the reason it turned on and stayed on cause of the overseas usage.
Now we all just gotta take a short trip out of the US to get that feature enabled
Thing is it didnt stay on though. When I landed it shut off and gave the same pop up message. It just randomly turned back on last night.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:31 PM   #28
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
Thing is it didnt stay on though. When I landed it shut off and gave the same pop up message. It just randomly turned back on last night.
Weird.
I know they're not rolling it out or turning it on at all for unlimited users like us though.
Hope you get to keep it but I think if you update firmware it will most likely go away.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #29
spikeymike
macrumors newbie

To add to this. I just checked mine (iPhone 5), and mine is "On" as well. Checked wife's (iPhone 4S) and hers is "On" as well.

AT&T family plan with unlimited data on each line. No tiered plans.

Haven't gone overseas or anything.
spikeymike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:22 PM   #30
walvero
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeymike View Post
To add to this. I just checked mine (iPhone 5), and mine is "On" as well. Checked wife's (iPhone 4S) and hers is "On" as well.

AT&T family plan with unlimited data on each line. No tiered plans.

Haven't gone overseas or anything.
I'm experiencing the same thing, earlier yesterday I was just checking my FaceTime settings and I noticed that Facetime over cellular was on! I was kind of puzzled cause i never turned it on and I have a grandfathered unlimited data on my service. I even did a test and it went through, I don't know how that was possible. I went into my at&t account settings and to check if my data plan was changed and it wasn't, I still have unlimited data. I am on a family plan though and all of us are grandfathered unlimited data except for one iphone that was added 4 months ago with a 3GB LTE data plan.
walvero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:32 PM   #31
spikeymike
macrumors newbie

walvero: I did the same thing as you after I noticed it. Signed in and checked to make sure nothing was changed on the plans...etc.

I checked with my friend who is also on AT&T with grandfathered in unlimited data and his (iPhone 5) wasn't "On" and he wasn't able to switch it on without having to change his plan.

Strange...
spikeymike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM   #32
kre62
macrumors 65816

Wow! Just turned off my work 4S, and turned it back on. What do you know, the switch is now ON!

Everyone w ATT, turn your phone all the way off (Slide to power off) then back on and report back if you now have FT over cellular.

This is awesome. My one complaint about ATT might be resolved.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:34 PM   #33
millerhifi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
Wow! Just turned off my work 4S, and turned it back on. What do you know, the switch is now ON!

Everyone w ATT, turn your phone all the way off (Slide to power off) then back on and report back if you now have FT over cellular.

This is awesome. My one complaint about ATT might be resolved.
Yep, that did for me. It was on when I powered back up. Didn't have to toggle it on.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:46 PM   #34
GoSh4rks
macrumors regular

Before power cycle: switch was off and could not flip to on.
After power cycle: switch is now in on position.
GoSh4rks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:13 PM   #35
millerhifi
macrumors regular

False alarm. I believe it wants to be on by default but once it logs back onto the network it says no soup for you and toggles back off. :-(
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #36
IndianBird
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhifi View Post
False alarm. I believe it wants to be on by default but once it logs back onto the network it says no soup for you and toggles back off. :-(
This is exactly what happened to me.
IndianBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 PM   #37
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhifi View Post
Yep, that did for me. It was on when I powered back up. Didn't have to toggle it on.
This worked for me too. I haven't made a test FaceTime call yet, but I was able to go to the Cellular & FaceTime areas of Settings and both showed the FaceTime switch on. I took a screenshot in case I need to complain if AT&T "magically" turns it off later.
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:20 PM   #38
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

lol my toggle is on after a reboot until at&t pops up in corner. i just watched it toggle off in my face. screw you at&t
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Damn it
Facetime over cellular is turned on after I reboot and while its searching or displays no service.
Then as soon as it connects and gets AT&T signal its automaticly back to the off position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	378739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	378740  

Last edited by Applejuiced; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 PM   #40
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
lol my toggle is on after a reboot until at&t pops up in corner. i just watched it toggle off in my face. screw you at&t
Now AT&T is just messing with us.
TypeMRT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:01 AM   #41
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I did a reset on my phone (holding down power and home button) and my facetime toggle has stayed on.... i havent had the chance to make a test call but its still says on. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan by the way.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone