Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #151
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
The reason it's only taller is to achieve the 16:9 ratio. If it was wider then they would also have to make it even taller, so that they could keep the 16:9 aspect ratio, instead of the old ratio of 2:3.
So why did they have to go 16:9? And don't tell me it's to watch movies. A 2" wide(tall) screen is pathetic to watch movies on.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:11 PM   #152
YQLBen
macrumors newbie

I'm 16, my iPhone is great. I used to have an old Samsung slider which got the job done, but the iPhone really is useful, even in high school. In my class I would say its about a 3 way split between the iPhone/Android devices/non-smart phones. The iPhone is climbing in numbers though, slowly albeit.
YQLBen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:27 PM   #153
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weerez935 View Post
Well I am in my 20s, married, college degree, and in my last years of pharmacy school now.

... snip ...

However to me an iPhone was tremendously helpful in college for:

Creating schedules, calendar events, exam days

Flash card study apps

Evernote: viewing power points since my hp at the time did not have a way to view them

Looking up translations/ sparknotes for English

Checking email for school, work, home etc

Mymathlab/ Kahn academy on the fly for calculus

There are many many more but to me an iPhone is like a Swiss Army knife for a college kid. Being able to view/edit/ create documents on the fly is invaluable to those of us with difficult majors.

Now I have learned to appreciate some of its other features like being my Apple TV remote, face timing so my daughter can see her grandma everyday, photo stream, imatch etc.

Now I'm not sure what I'd do without it and I highly doubt any other phone will work well in an already apple setup.
Like I said, college may be a reach for some because not every college is completely embracing the electronic advancements. (Yes as surprising as that seems). Anyways, 2 years ago I was in college and guess what? An iPhone came in handy. I had 5 courses of which 2 had professors that did everything class related online (except the actual lecture). Homework, projects, syllabus, notes, etc was posted online. The official communication was email to which they responded rather quickly and from an iDevice.

So I sympathize with you there.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #154
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Personally, I would hate to see a big (note sized) apple branded phone. Ill take the 4" with possibly a bit more width somewhere down the road. But if u think making a big screen will gain a huge % of the market, I think ur wrong. In fact, I think it would be a flop.
You may be right. I'm just going off of what most of my non techie android phone owning friends think. They always tell me tha they just love the bigger screens on the Android phones. They could care less about the customizations allowed with Android. For them, it's like comparing a 64" tv to a 42". Which one would you want? They have no clue as to which ecosystem is backed the most or what phone comes with the best support. It's simply the size of the screen.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:52 PM   #155
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

It's inevitable that when something becomes as popular as the iPhone there will eventually be a backlash. But in my anecdotal experience most people either already have iPhones or are planning to upgrade to one at some point. Only the techy/geek crowd seems to be splitting into Samsung vs. Apple camps. Regular people just don't care.
unobtainium is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:11 PM   #156
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
So why did they have to go 16:9? And don't tell me it's to watch movies. A 2" wide(tall) screen is pathetic to watch movies on.
They didn't have to make it 16:9. But they wanted 16:9 so it had to be made taller first. And as they have said, the width is perfect for one handed use, but the taller screen allows for more content to be shown on the screen, including mail, web browsing, text, etc. Although, obviously this isn't the best aspect ratio for everyone. I personally think it's better than 3:2 though.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:21 PM   #157
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Interesting read....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissaf...cool-to-teens/
I am seeing it more often, I'm 18 and seeing more and more people using phones other than iPhones nowadays.
yup... at my high school, i have an iphone 5 with about 6 other apple nerds. hence my name.... but everyone else has droid razor max's and galaxies. sad....
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:01 PM   #158
Weerez935
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Like I said, college may be a reach for some because not every college is completely embracing the electronic advancements. (Yes as surprising as that seems). Anyways, 2 years ago I was in college and guess what? An iPhone came in handy. I had 5 courses of which 2 had professors that did everything class related online (except the actual lecture). Homework, projects, syllabus, notes, etc was posted online. The official communication was email to which they responded rather quickly and from an iDevice.

So I sympathize with you there.
Yea at Texas a&m they redid the lit department with iMacs but did not have notes online.
At a smaller school in Alabama they had notes, blackboard etc.
at grad school they have lectures and everything so its been increasingly more useful in my case.

Last edited by Weerez935; Jan 12, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone