Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
On january 31st 2013, google cut off support to regular users of the "google sync" feature. This was a major problem for me, and caused me a great deal of difficulty when I had to restore to 6.1.

I now use the crappy "Gmail.app" app for iphone, and I use it to push email.

But the problem is the following.

- On the regular mail app, you could choose what tags/folders to push. on gmail you cannot.

- I have several filters where it is designed to skip the inbox (eg facebook notification emails) and stay in a separate folder. But I still want to get the push notification for said folder, as I don't want to miss important notifications.

Other than sending all that **** to my inbox, how is this possible? Can I get the google sync to work again? Are there any hacks for this?

Thanks;

Love, me

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
On january 31st 2013, google cut off support to regular users of the "google sync" feature. This was a major problem for me, and caused me a great deal of difficulty when I had to restore to 6.1.

I now use the crappy "Gmail.app" app for iphone, and I use it to push email.

But the problem is the following.

- On the regular mail app, you could choose what tags/folders to push. on gmail you cannot.

- I have several filters where it is designed to skip the inbox (eg facebook notification emails) and stay in a separate folder. But I still want to get the push notification for said folder, as I don't want to miss important notifications.

Other than sending all that **** to my inbox, how is this possible? Can I get the google sync to work again? Are there any hacks for this?

Thanks;

Love, me

Only way to get Google Sync working again is to use a Google Apps business account.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Only way to get Google Sync working again is to use a Google Apps business account.

what about the notifications?

I think I'm just going to do the following:

Forward all mail to my icloud account and set up push for the "non inbox" folder as I don't need to reply to these, I just need to get the notification

And use regular gmail for the push (important **** amirite)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Have you looked into outlook.com and setting up an account there? I know it works on the iphone I just don't know if the other items you are requesting work with it. But you might want to give it a look.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
what about the notifications?

I think I'm just going to do the following:

Forward all mail to my icloud account and set up push for the "non inbox" folder as I don't need to reply to these, I just need to get the notification

And use regular gmail for the push (important **** amirite)

Notifications should still work like normal. Just go under the notification part of the Settings app.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Just change your filter so it gives facebook emails a label so you get a notification when you get the email. Then once every year search for emails labeled facebook and select all with two clicks and click archive.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
One question about this app... since it pushes the emails to your iPhone.. how is it to the battery?.. does it drains your battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.