Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-iKris-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
England
Hi everyone.

I've got a 4S and i want to get the next new iPhone in a few months. At the moment, in the UK, an iPhone 4S 16GB is going for around £250/£270 on eBay. I wondered how fast and how far the price usually falls as a new model approaches?

So how much would it fall a month from now? And then how much right before the new model is announced. Then how much after the announcement, and so on.

I'm trying to see if there's a selling sweep spot where you get the most money whilst having the least time without a decent phone.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
The rumors are the iPhone 5 will be discontinued so its not unreasonable to think the 4S will also be going away. My 4S is still a steady workhorse, although it has been freezing on the springboard when switching between the pages.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Yeah the 4s may be done, same with the 5, why make it available if your selling the iPhone Color which will match those phones, just not the same fit and finish, but still real nice, and a lower price.

If you want the fit and finish, the iPhone 5s or 6 if the jump to it might very well be the only way to go.

But I just can't figure why they are petitioning the government to repeal the ban of importation of the 4s if they do plan to discontinue it? but I guess regardless they don't want any options banned.

I think the 4s is going to be done at retail either way, just sounds right to me.

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Hi everyone.

I've got a 4S and i want to get the next new iPhone in a few months. At the moment, in the UK, an iPhone 4S 16GB is going for around £250/£270 on eBay. I wondered how fast and how far the price usually falls as a new model approaches?

So how much would it fall a month from now? And then how much right before the new model is announced. Then how much after the announcement, and so on.

I'm trying to see if there's a selling sweep spot where you get the most money whilst having the least time without a decent phone.

Right now you get iPhone 4Ss for $ 300, so when the 5S is announced, expect the 5 to take that $300 price point and the 4S the 4's price point, which is around $175.
I'm selling my iPhone 4S now so I get the most money of it, but i could stay with it longer but I know for sure that in a couple of months i'd want a new phone, so I'd rather sell it now and get the most money.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
I still see people selling the 16GB iphone 4 in excellent condition for £200 on local Facebook selling pages so I would imagine that you'll still get that kind of money for a 4S once the new phone is here.
Even with the possibility of the 5 dropping in price and the new cheaper iPhone the 4S is still a desirable phone, perhaps even more so if they discontinue it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
To $0... since they won't be selling it anymore (cheaper iPhone instead).

Not new, but secondary used refurb will still go on for a while.

Overseas demands, who can't afford the latest (and don't have 4G) will buy 4/s keeping the price NOT zero.

IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.