Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Thinking of getting a Mini but my only concern...

...is the "iPad 2 processor". I'm not concerned about now, but what is your opinion on how quick it's depreciative compatibility life will expire in comparison with other Apple products. I'm worried that this having an older processor will lesson the average span that we usually get with iPhones and iPads.

Sub-thread. Do you personally feel an iPad mini and iPhone 5 are redundant?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
TjeuV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
...is the "iPad 2 processor". I'm not concerned about now, but what is your opinion on how quick it's depreciative compatibility life will expire in comparison with other Apple products. I'm worried that this having an older processor will lesson the average span that we usually get with iPhones and iPads.

If you're not into the all new games with a high performance need, get the iPad mini now. If you are, or using some heavy applications, I'd suggest you wait for the update to come.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

IMO it runs as smooth as my iPad 3. As far as if it will get all the new features of iOS 7. Maybe, but it won't affect how long you can use it. Buy and enjoy. Great device.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
IMO it runs as smooth as my iPad 3. As far as if it will get all the new features of iOS 7. Maybe, but it won't affect how long you can use it. Buy and enjoy. Great device.
I will definitely enjoy it. But I am one who often utilizes most of the new features in the updates and will be somewhat bummed if it can't fully operate iOS 7. I don't expect it to last me forever, of course, but still...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I will definitely enjoy it. But I am one who often utilizes most of the new features in the updates and will be somewhat bummed if it can't fully operate iOS 7. I don't expect it to last me forever, of course, but still...
You might want to wait on the new one then. That probably will be next fall though. For me, right now it's hands down the best iPad for what I use it for. If you buy now and get a 32GB wifi you're looking at $475.94 with a 6% sales tax. Going off of history with Apple products you should be able to get $300 easily for it when the next iPad comes out. Probably a little more if you want to hold out for that amount but $300 for a quick sale. So it'll cost you $175 to use it for 9-10 months.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
blackNBUK
macrumors 6502a

Nobody apart from Apple really knows what they have planned for updates for the iPad mini. However my guess is that the mini will see iOS 7 and 8. The A5 CPU is still being used in a lot of Apple's current line-up (iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV) and it still runs most of iOS very smoothly. There shouldn't be technical reasons for dropping support because of the A5 anytime soon.

The 512Mb of memory is more worrying to me than the A5 chip. That amount of RAM is 'enough' at the moment but could become outdated sooner than the A5. That worry wasn't enough to stop me buying an iPad mini though...
blackNBUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackNBUK View Post
Nobody apart from Apple really knows what they have planned for updates for the iPad mini. However my guess is that the mini will see iOS 7 and 8. The A5 CPU is still being used in a lot of Apple's current line-up (iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV) and it still runs most of iOS very smoothly. There shouldn't be technical reasons for dropping support because of the A5 anytime soon.

The 512Mb of memory is more worrying to me than the A5 chip. That amount of RAM is 'enough' at the moment but could become outdated sooner than the A5. That worry wasn't enough to stop me buying an iPad mini though...
I agree i'm sure it will see both iOS 7 and 8 but it might feel slow in a few years not because of the processor but the ram.
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:59 AM   #8
MrGimper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Since when is Apple playing this game? They dont publish any clock speeds or amount of RAM.
They quote cores and x times faster than the previous iteration or competitors. It wasn't a criticism of Apple, more that in the past we didn't care about specs so much.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #9
stuaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
I agree i'm sure it will see both iOS 7 and 8 but it might feel slow in a few years not because of the processor but the ram.
I see the current mini as being the iPad 1 of the mini world.
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Most bloggers and sites are predicting a buff to the Mini next year. Right now, it's all about form-factor and cost. I think the 16GB is probably the hottest Christmas gift this year.

The debate really is when the Mini 2 will be released. I would say keep following MacRumors and other sites for rumors. As the frequency and reliability of rumors increases, be prepared to sell on eBay or Craigslist. Because rest assured, that when the Mini 2 is released with retina, or the next gen ARM, or 1 GB RAM, there will be a flood of used Mini 1's on the market.

For now, enjoy your Mini!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #11
JohnDG
macrumors member

Quote:

Biggest problem is going to be the battery if they want to keep the slim design.

jdg
JohnDG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
rrl
macrumors 6502

Wait for the next one, and start breathing air.
rrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:29 AM   #13
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Processor, screen, IOS longevity, and RAM are the reasons I went iPad 4...
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
Processor, screen, IOS longevity, and RAM are the reasons I went iPad 4...
Same here. I absolutely love the form-factor on the Mini. But half the RAM, no-Retina, use of the older iPad 2 processor, and I couldn't convince myself that the Mini is right for me now.

Also, think about the next generation of each of these devices.

It's easy to imagine so many upgrades for a 1st gen device like the Mini. Faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, probably retina (with bigger battery)...these are all practical assured in a 2nd or 3rd gen Mini.

It's a little harder to imagine what to improve on a 4th gen device like the iPad 4. Maybe an IGZO display, but that's costly and difficult, given Sharp's problems & Apple's desire for their margins and to keep an entry level iPad 5 at $499. Maybe 2GB RAM for an iPad 5 but would you go from 4 to 5 just for that? Given battery technology, which seems to be lagging behind other tech, there is only so much more that can be done to improve the 4th gen iPad.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:07 PM   #15
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well, let's say next year we'll get an A6 chip. Or an A6X (more capable graphics) if we get a Retina display. Than what? Than the next 9.7" iPad will get an even beefier A7(X) chip.

The iPad mini will always lag one generation behind.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:49 PM   #16
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I was more concerned with the ram than the chip. Comparing it to my iPad 3 they seem about equal. I think the extra ram is used to push the extra pixels on the retina mainly. I haven't had any ram issues on my mini yet but I seldom game, so that might be a factor for you.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:03 PM   #17
RichP74
macrumors member

Yeah, this was a tough decision. I think you can look at this as if you were buying a modern laptop. Do you want power, or do you want form factor? I buy Alienware laptops because I play games on it in addition to my usual Windows apps. If I didn't play games, I'd go with an Air or something way less unwieldy.

For tablets, I like them as media consumption devices, social networking stuff, e-mail, etc.... so I went with an iPad Mini. I tried a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, and that thing sucked so many ways I don't feel like listing them all. A big minus with it was weight; it simply was not comfortable to use for long periods of time. Hence the Mini.
RichP74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:16 PM   #18
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavian View Post
Same here. I absolutely love the form-factor on the Mini. But half the RAM, no-Retina, use of the older iPad 2 processor, and I couldn't convince myself that the Mini is right for me now.

It's easy to imagine so many upgrades for a 1st gen device like the Mini. Faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, probably retina (with bigger battery)...these are all practical assured in a 2nd or 3rd gen Mini.

It's a little harder to imagine what to improve on a 4th gen device like the iPad 4. Maybe an IGZO display, but that's costly and difficult, given Sharp's problems & Apple's desire for their margins and to keep an entry level iPad 5 at $499. Maybe 2GB RAM for an iPad 5 but would you go from 4 to 5 just for that? Given battery technology, which seems to be lagging behind other tech, there is only so much more that can be done to improve the 4th gen iPad.
exact same feelings and reasons here too...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:57 PM   #19
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavian View Post

With iPad 4, just look at the iPhone 5, basically going thinner, lighter while improving performance. That same thing will probably apply to the iPad 5, not so much performance but physical changes.

With the iPad Mini, there are a lot of improvements, but don't think Apple doesn't know how to milk a market. They released the iPad Mini with it's current specs full well knowing what they might do with the next iteration or two. Everyone complaining about the current mini's specs are just music to Apples ears as I'm sure they have those planned

For me, I went with the 4, sure the Mini is cuter, but I just couldn't deal with knowing it would have such a short lifespan.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:53 PM   #20
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a

I thinks it a good bet the mini will run os 7. I am not sure why one would expect resource bloat at this point of ios's maturity (3 yrs). The larger ipad will be loading 2x size maps so it needs more ram. I see a 2 year life for the mni, which is adequate for my needs. I do not do gaming, and I appreciate how that is whole different thing
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
but don't think Apple doesn't know how to milk a market. They released the iPad Mini with it's current specs full well knowing what they might do with the next iteration or two.
Couldn't agree more with you kev.

Tablets are THE hot item this Christmas and the Mini is priced right for those looking to get in to the iOS eco-system for the first time. And the form factor is awesome. But for geeks and nerds here, specs are important too. I think for "normal" people, specs are not that big a deal.

But to the OP's original question, get the Mini if you want. Use it happily. But keep an eye/ear open for the rumors on the Mini 2. Might be a quarter, might be 6 months, might be nearly a year before the Mini 2 is released. That question will be debated endlessly at MacRumors

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad