Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GM1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hi all,

I have a query about connecting Apple TV to my LG Home Theater system, to obtain Dolby 5.1 output.

I am using an LG 32LM3400 3D TV, and the LG BH6220S Home Cinema system.

The TV has a spare HDMI input, but the theater only has one optical input, and my satellite TV receiver currently uses this. The theater has no HDMI inputs.

To connect Apple TV, am I correct in saying that my best option would be to connect it to the TV by HDMI, and use an optical cable and 2-way selector to connect it to the theater?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
is the Satellite already connected to the TV via HDMI?

The TV has an optical out, you might be able to use that, and then the TV would act as the audio switch, and send the audio for whatever input you are using to the amplifier.

try it out first, it sounds like you already have the parts needed. as some TVs will not send the dolby audio, but yours is new enough it should.

also.. if you do need longer cables, or more cables, monoprice.com is your friend. They will also have the optical switch if you go that way.

GM1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hi Waw 74,

Yes the Satellite box is connected by HDMI by the TV, so I'll give that a try first.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.