Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
<dict>
<key>Interval</key>
<integer>3600</integer>
<key>Delay</key>
<integer>3600</integer>
<key>GracePeriod</key>
<integer>1800</integer>
<key>Repeating</key>
<true/>
<key>AllowBattery</key>
<true/>
<key>PowerNap</key>
<true/>
<key>Priority</key>
<string>Utility</string>
</dict>

/System » Library » LaunchDaemons > com.apple.backupd-auto.plist.

If I want it every 24 hours I assume I change the interval number but what about the other two - delay and grace period?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
You could always use TimeMachineEditor to make it simpler.

Ya id rather not download a third party tool for something i could do.

----------

I assume if I wanted it every 24 hours it would be...

<dict>
<key>Interval</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>Delay</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>GracePeriod</key>
<integer>43200</integer>
<key>Repeating</key>
<true/>
<key>AllowBattery</key>
<true/>
<key>PowerNap</key>
<true/>
<key>Priority</key>
<string>Utility</string>
</dict>

Just want to make sure so as to not break anything

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
<dict>
<key>Interval</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>Delay</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>GracePeriod</key>
<integer>43200</integer>
<key>Repeating</key>
<true/>
<key>AllowBattery</key>
<true/>
<key>PowerNap</key>
<true/>
<key>Priority</key>
<string>Utility</string>
</dict>

Well I changed the file to the above shown numbers and saved it and rebooted. But time machine still says my next backup is scheduled in an hour. What am I missing? I would use "time machine editor" app but I don't like that in order to use it you have to turn time machine off and the app controls the backups instead.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
<dict>
<key>Interval</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>Delay</key>
<integer>86400</integer>
<key>GracePeriod</key>
<integer>43200</integer>
<key>Repeating</key>
<true/>
<key>AllowBattery</key>
<true/>
<key>PowerNap</key>
<true/>
<key>Priority</key>
<string>Utility</string>
</dict>

Well I changed the file to the above shown numbers and saved it and rebooted. But time machine still says my next backup is scheduled in an hour. What am I missing? I would use "time machine editor" app but I don't like that in order to use it you have to turn time machine off and the app controls the backups instead.

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I know Mavs caches plist files, so your plist edits are probably getting overwritten by the cached version.

Try turning off TM, then edit the plist and save it. Then reboot to clear the plist cache... then turn TM back on so you if your edits worked.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I know Mavs caches plist files, so your plist edits are probably getting overwritten by the cached version.

Try turning off TM, then edit the plist and save it. Then reboot to clear the plist cache... then turn TM back on so you if your edits worked.

Nope did it as you said and still says next back up in one hour. Is thee another file somewhere? I even looked for the plist cache files in all the library's > preferences and the file was not there. Is that where the cache files are?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope did it as you said and still says next back up in one hour. Is thee another file somewhere? I even looked for the plist cache files in all the library's > preferences and the file was not there. Is that where the cache files are?

Give this a look. It appears you can go from 0-23, and the article does not mention 24 as an option, so maybe that is where you are going wrong?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Arg now i ran this terminal line and it corrupted the file.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 86400

Now what? How do i put back that file? I can't even open it anymore!

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Give this a look. It appears you can go from 0-23, and the article does not mention 24 as an option, so maybe that is where you are going wrong?

What is going on in that article the way I read it is 23 hours and 59 minutes is the max. I would assume that occurs at 11:59pm (12 hour clock) or 23:59 (24 hour clock) (one min before mid-night, not 23 hours and 59 minutes after reboot.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I gave up and used time machine editor. I will post back if it fires at 3:00 am like I set.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Time Machine editor seems to have worked as expected. Backed up at 3:00 am like i said it should.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What is going on in that article the way I read it is 23 hours and 59 minutes is the max. I would assume that occurs at 11:59pm (12 hour clock) or 23:59 (24 hour clock) (one min before mid-night, not 23 hours and 59 minutes after reboot.

Yes, I read it the same way. My point was the integer value for hours can't be 24 as it sounded like the OP was trying to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.