Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:15 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Is buying Office used okay?

Please note, this isn't asking whether Office is a good product or not. What I would like to ask is whether buying a used, open copy of Office is legit or not, or whether I will have to deal with potential activation issues, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:16 AM   #2
macman312
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
Please note, this isn't asking whether Office is a good product or not. What I would like to ask is whether buying a used, open copy of Office is legit or not, or whether I will have to deal with potential activation issues, etc.
Mate, I honestly wouldn't risk it. To answer your question, yes you probably will have issues with activation
macman312 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Nope, not worth the risk...At best you will have to jump through Microsoft hoops to get the code changed....At worst it will still be in use and you end up with no software and no money....Buy a new copy, it's the safest way, but FWIW at the moment, it's so full of bugs made worse by the recent updates that I would leave it alone entirely....Outlook is useless now, and many are finding Word and Excel also have issues.

I have 2 licensed copies, but I'm not even using them at present.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

IIRC it's not allowed per Microsoft. Why not verify with them directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Outlook is useless now, and many are finding Word and Excel also have issues.
Also FWIW I'm using all three just fine.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Nope, not worth the risk...At best you will have to jump through Microsoft hoops to get the code changed....At worst it will still be in use and you end up with no software and no money....Buy a new copy, it's the safest way, but FWIW at the moment, it's so full of bugs made worse by the recent updates that I would leave it alone entirely....Outlook is useless now, and many are finding Word and Excel also have issues.

Geez, they might as well eliminate box sales if it might be that complex. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:17 PM   #6
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

2008 Version is fine (no Outlook, of course).
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:01 AM   #7
fhall1
macrumors 68020

The only way I would do it is if you, the seller, and Microsoft get on the phone at the same time and they transfer the license/activation to you while all are together and you verify it works.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

It'll be fine. First off Microsofts activation system is not that difficult. I transfer licenses of Office frequently from old computers to new computers. There is no paperwork to fill out or jumping through hoops to get the license activated.

Most of the time you just install the used Office, type in the key and activate over the internet (probably between 95% and 99% of the time this works). MS knows computers fail, get old, get new boot drives, &c. Each of these scenarios generates a unique installation ID from the serial number, requiring a unique activation key to activate.

I don't know what the time interval is but after several weeks or months the MS activation servers reset and allow the serial number to be used again on a new computer. If it has been too soon. You will be provided with a phone number to call. When calling it has two steps the first you type in the installation ID the the system gives you the activation code. In the extremely rare event this does not work you go on to a live operator. Tell them you replaced your computers, they say okee dokee and give you your installation ID.

Autodesk already lost a lawsuit over selling used software. At least in the US you have the right to resell software.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store