Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
At 100% brightness, how long your ipad 4 battery can last? Mine is now 24% after running 5 hours. I highly doubt I can reach the legendary 9 hours plus. :mad:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You aren't supposed to reach the ten hours on full brightness; pretty sure Apple does all device testing at fifty percent brightness.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
At 100% brightness, how long your ipad 4 battery can last? Mine is now 24% after running 5 hours. I highly doubt I can reach the legendary 9 hours plus. :mad:

I seriously do not know a single person who uses his iPad, or even iPhone, with 100% brightness - except for when they use them in really bright surroundings.

Heck, in normal conditions my brightness is often (well) below 50% - which I consider bright enough. And Apple does its battery testing at 50% brightness.

Apparently, you're still able to get a total of 6.5 hours of battery life at 100% brightness at this rate. I think that's just fine when the brightness is set that high.

Best tip: use your iPad with a lower screen brightness. Best way to adapt? Use your iPad at, for example, 30% brightness for a while and after you have adapted a bit set it at 50%. Than you'll see that 50% is actually very bright already (and that's because after a while you get used to that 30%).

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
100% brightness!? Seriously.

There's no way my eyes could cope with that.

Mines usually at about 30%, except when i'm in bed when it's turned down completely.

For the record my battery lasts for a couple of days with a fair amount of use.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
100% brightness!? Seriously.

There's no way my eyes could cope with that.

Mines usually at about 30%, except when i'm in bed when it's turned down completely.

For the record my battery lasts for a couple of days with a fair amount of use.

Amen.

Anything over 70% hurts my eyes. I have it on 25% usually.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for running the ipad at 100 we now know what kinda battery life it gets. ;)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
While display brightness is one of the largest drains on battery life, how you're using your device plays a part as well. There's far too many variables that come into play when one asks such a broad question about battery life.

My real world experience with a large number of iOS devices & OS X laptops has proven over & over, that Apples one of the best when it comes to battery run times and recharge times. Finally I've yet to have any Apple battery fail with less than the estimated number of cycles. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's a rarity when it does.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
iPad 4 clearly has much longer battery life than the 3. On the same train journey my iPad 3 consumed around 8-9% of the battery but the iPad 4 only used 2-3%. Of course it's not a scientific statistics but that's what I got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.