Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:40 PM   #51
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Romney didn't have a chance once he was painted as a rich out of touch white executive type. Republicans need someone who created the American dream, not one who was handed it on a silver platter.
No- he's a spoiled brat. This article is evidence of that- his wife too. We don't need that running the country.
leekohler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:18 PM   #52
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
If any good could come of this, maybe the GOP has to do some serious soul searching and offer real alternatives to just helping the top 1% percent.
No, see, in the election of '08, the Rs were relegated to near-exile status, much worse off than they are now. They did some soul searching and came up with this insane astroturf strategy that gained them control of the House and elevated people like Bachmann and Rand Paul to celebrity status. Any soul-searching they do will not be about their actual beliefs and ideology but how they can coat them with chocolate and shiny sprinkles in order to get the voters to swallow the hook.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM   #53
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
No, see, in the election of '08, the Rs were relegated to near-exile status, much worse off than they are now. They did some soul searching and came up with this insane astroturf strategy that gained them control of the House and elevated people like Bachmann and Rand Paul to celebrity status. Any soul-searching they do will not be about their actual beliefs and ideology but how they can coat them with chocolate and shiny sprinkles in order to get the voters to swallow the hook.
The republican party as we know it, is literally dying. Once the baby boomers die, so does the republican party we know today.

They know this, the higher ups will re invent the party.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:28 PM   #54
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
The republican party as we know it, is literally dying. Once the baby boomers die, so does the republican party we know today.

They know this, the higher ups will re invent the party.
Every few years, and at most a decade, a party kind of dies and gets reborn. The dems were these successful "blue dogs" but today it's as if they never existed. Now that the dems have worked over some social issues maybe the blue dogs will come back but repackaged and ready to battle.

The social conservative GOP that's into gay bashing was not too long ago very against Mormons but in 2012 Mitt Romney became the largely Baptist bible belt's best friend. My fear is that the GOP will rally around another Bush family member hoping that the heavy lifting of name recognition doesn't have to be done again. It took Mitt a lot of legwork in 2008 and losing the GOP race and then working 2012. I think the republicans want somebody that has name recognition that they can build on. It's too much work for somebody in the GOP to start anew in 2015 or so and realistically seek the GOP nomination in the following year. Rand Paul, perhaps from a lot of help from his dad's fame, may make a run, too. Though I hope she's out, I think Sarah Palin can make a realistic run if the party hasn't learned its lesson yet with social conservatives with no real fiscal or foreign policy pull. While I don't see myself ever voting GOP, I do hope they do start with unknowns and not try and rehash some broken trickle down economics.
63dot is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:05 PM   #55
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Romney didn't have a chance once he was painted as a rich out of touch white executive type. Republicans need someone who created the American dream, not one who was handed it on a silver platter.
Bobby Jindal, 2016. He's as American as you can get.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:36 AM   #56
Dagless
macrumors Core

Rather him than the countless people he'd let down, forget about, etc. What was that percentage he didn't care about again?
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:50 AM   #57
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Rather him than the countless people he'd let down, forget about, etc.

What was that percentage he didn't care about again?
99.9999996791%, or him vs. the population of the United States.

(311,591,917 - Jul 2011 - Source: U.S. Census Bureau)
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues