Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
If I could afford this monitor, that would talk me out of an AIO.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/sharp-pn-k322b-4k-monitor/

For those who asked, I haven't bought yet - thinking about touch laptop with pen first. Wish Lenovo continued the x230t line instead of helix line... Or that macbook air or mbp had touch screen with pen support.

When will has well bloody drop for mbp or some more lenovos? That will probably determine my next purchase while I wait for more reviews on dell aio 2720.

You might as well wait another 2 months and get a haswell iMac or get the next refresh of the xps one. If you were going to get one of these you would have gotten it already rather than just waiting. Have you even used a touchscreen desktop? Novelty feature soon becomes a rarely used feature. If you want a productive touch input drop the cash on a good Wacom tablet. Whatever PC you buy make sure it comes with windows 7 installation media so you can drop back to that after a couple of weeks of windows 8 usage :D

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
It's been almost 60 days, if you don't already have an iMac, buy a Dell

EDIT: see below, Dell just updated the computer to Haswell and improved the video card (June 2013)
----------------
I loved my apple products from 2006 until about 2010ish.
2006 MBP, Iphones 2g, 3gs

But after Android Nexus S (and now nexus 4), I started getting disenchanting with Apple.

Then Microsoft Surface RT dropped and I love it. So much so that I'm debating getting a All-in-one for the living room that has touch screen. Any limitation with Windows RT can be solved with Team Viewer and tunneling back to your home PC to run something you can't run on an ARM device.

Thinking the fully loaded one. 16 gb ram etc

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-one-27-2710-aio-t/pd

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414481,00.asp

I'm on the edge...
Please give me your opinion on this device. I will likely still buy a MacBook Pro when Haswell drops (if no USB 3.0 bugs) and MacBook air when ULV haswell comes out.

I need to always have windows around for medical software; however citrix may make this less of an issue in the future.

I was thinking a touch screen windows 8 device would be fun for entertaining. A living room piece.

------------
Edit see below - June 2013
Dell just updated the video card and added Haswell processors.

How does this change the buying decision making?

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770S processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit, English
16GB1 DDR3L at MHz
2TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive + 32GB mSATA Solid State DriveBP
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5 with TPM V1.2
27 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with IPS/Anti Glare and Adobe RGB QHD resolution (2560 X 1440)
1 Year Enhanced Support - America's Best Standard Support

It's been almost 60 days, if you don't already have an iMac, buy a Dell.

Buy the Dell, you'll be back.

Jed

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Didn't buy it yet. Thinking about surface 2 to go with surface rt.

We have to big monitors that we move around the house so if the new ARM processor is fast enough , I probably can delay this purchase until the Lenovo A730 improves it's specs to beat the dell, or until the dell improves it's stand to lie flat like the Lenovo.

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
looks like the Lenovo A730 RAM can be either upgraded to 16 gb or possibly 32 gb. (found this from reading the "ask a question" answers on the page for the A730).

I don't understand why I couldn't make the 8 gb SSD "mini-drive" (which is an add on to the large HD in the highest model) bigger though. 8 GB seems like nothing these days.

The main thing holding me back is that they don't offer an Anti-Glare screen at the higher resolution.

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Good grief, this is an annoying zombie thread.

Who cares if you want to buy a Dell instead of an iMac anymore?

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
The iMacs have been updated for a few months now with Haswell.

What Dells don't have:

iMacs have a reduced glare on the glossy screen
iMacs have a better graphics card (on highest option)
iMacs have PCIe Express SSD option, much faster than the HDD in Dell XPS 27
iMacs would likely be quieter
iMacs have capability to run both Mac OS X and Windows
iMacs have higher resale value

What iMacs don't have:

Dell has built-in BD optical drive
Dell has sound card
Dell has touch screen
Dell has adjustable stand
Dell has ports on side (more convenient)

Other than these features, they both seem pretty even.

You'll have to decide what features are important to you in an all-in-one.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Who necro bumps this? lol.

Those Dell All-In-Ones include another feature iMacs and other Windows computers don't have:
Imminent death.

In my department the amount of people that have to call in IT to fix their dead motherboard on their XPS All-In-One is staggering. I don't think we've had an All-In-One in the office that didn't die lol.

All of us in engineering staff are super glad we were given Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.