Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yshimy

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
My First post

I'm a big apple fan since Iphone 3G. Over the years upgraded all too Iphone 5 and multiple ipads and finally added MBP 3 years ago.
Until today i keep an old 1ghz Acer netbook just to manage an external harddrive full of photos and videos.

Tried over the years to use iphoto and help from online tutorials, youtube videos, friends, still i failed to even use it with a grain of salt with all its crashes and horrible loading time, like i do with itunes. I am like you, love the folder structure so i can easily backup and retrieve and walk around with a HD in my bag where i get all the photos on any PC/MAC i find.

I tried lightroom, but it is too advanced for me. Tried picasa and it was the most convenient, yet i ditched all and kept using my PC.

After all the fighting in the first page replies i found many useful tips in the 2nd page, and all the information, i guess i'll try to give A3 a try.

This post to tell you that you are not alone out there :D

antimacmiss

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
You are old school. So am I but I've adapted.

iPhoto is your photo organizing tool (stop thinking about it as a barrier) Use albums and tags to organize your photos within iPhoto to organize (via date, name/face, location, tags youv'e made, etc) your mess. You can share single photos, series of photos with anyone. Integration with other applications is easy. You need to watch a few tutorials to view iPhoto as more of a tool than a hindrance.

The drag and drop organizing into 1000 desktop folders/sub folders is so 1990's/PC. But I realize some people need that level of perceived control.

I was looking for the same answers as Krissy, found this thread. The tone of this whole discussion so far has pissed me off so much that, even though its years out of date, I had to reply.

Fair enough, Krissypants does seem to be short on time and is therefore impatient, and that has made it harder for him/her to sort out the issue on his/her own. But surely the reason why Mac forums like this exist though... to give and recieve advice. So I don't get why everyone's is giving these condescending replies of, 'calm down and try and figure it out yourself (you silly, impatient, hysterical cow)'. I can almost hear the macho guffawing in the background, a-la the garage mechanic who shakes his head when a woman comes in with an 'easy' problem with her car, but snaps up her money anyway. Only instead of money, you lot seem bent on making Krissypants feel stupid as well as confused and frustrated. Congrats, hope you enjoy whatever jollies that gives you, but since you are not giving her any actual, helpful advice then really, you are the idiots who need to get off this forum, not her.

Say what you like about Windows PC systems being outdated, but they were (and are) consistent. One of Mac's flaws from the start, which is also its strength, is that it is constantly inventing new ways of doing things (e.g. apps) which all seem to follow unique rules. One way of looking at this is to say that PC is destined to go out of date while Mac stays cutting edge. Another way of looking at it is to say that Microsoft wants to save people's time and frustration, and Apply does not. If you prefer the cutting edge fun of spending time figuring out new systems all the time, just so you can brag to your mates about how tech savvy you are, then good for you, but only a very small minded person would expect that his way (for I assume it's mostly 'hims' who are saying this) is the only way, and that everybody should be happy with it because he is. To my way of thinking, this is exactly the sort of attitude that Mac represents, and it will one day render Mac obsolete, assuming that the human race can survives the next few decade.

Let me give you another analogy: stick shift versus automatic. a lot of people assumed that everybody would switch to automatic once it was invented, but to date that has never ever happened. GPS has not replaced maps either. Never will. Why? Different strokes for different folks, that's why. To blindly, dumbly recite Mac's mantra that it is the way of the future only shows one thing: that you've been brainwashed by their ad campaign. NO product is for everyone, NO product ever really becomes obsolete. I still know people who use Beta VHS and 8-tracks ffs, and I'm hardly an old timer. So can it with the patronizing comments already, boys. You're just making yourselves look kind of immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.