There is nothing wrong with refurbished goods - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with refurbished goods

I thought i would make a quick post stating my thoughts on refurbished phones because lately iv seen alot of complaints about people having faulty products and refusing to replace because they dont want a refurbished product.

I have been the owner of 2 refurbished products, a Time Capsule and an Ipad and I can honestly tell you theres nothing to worry about. They perform exactly same and is nigh on impossible to tell they have been refurbished.

Also - and this is my most important point - refurbished phones are probably more stable then brand new models as refurbished ones go through lengthy testing before and after they get patched up. Your almost guaranteed to get a 'perfect' product with a refurb.

Thats just my 2 cents on this : )
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2
mscriv
macrumors 68040

My wife and I have had our refurb iPhone's for almost two years at this point. They have been great and came in excellent condition.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #3
puma1552
macrumors 68030

True, there's nothing wrong with refurbs, but it does kind of suck to bring in a device that craps out at 1 month and get a rebuilt replacement instead of a new one.

As for buying refurb stuff from Apple, nothing wrong there either but IMO the price of the refurb is so close to the price of a new one you may as well just get the new one, which will help with resale value if you have the original box, etc.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Got a refurb MacBook pro once. It had problems. A week after receiving it they wanted me to send it to service to find out what the cause of the problems was. I disagreed that this was the correct course of action so they sent me a new one to replace it. I'd still buy a refurb item but wouldn't say that "there is nothing wrong" with all refurbs. Something can always go wrong.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
I thought i would make a quick post stating my thoughts on refurbished phones because lately iv seen alot of complaints about people having faulty products and refusing to replace because they dont want a refurbished product.

I have been the owner of 2 refurbished products, a Time Capsule and an Ipad and I can honestly tell you theres nothing to worry about. They perform exactly same and is nigh on impossible to tell they have been refurbished.

Also - and this is my most important point - refurbished phones are probably more stable then brand new models as refurbished ones go through lengthy testing before and after they get patched up. Your almost guaranteed to get a 'perfect' product with a refurb.

Thats just my 2 cents on this : )
I had a refurb iPad 1 which was perfect. My wife submerged her iPhone 4 out of warranty and they sold us a low cost refurb, and it is still perfect to this day.

When you consider what Apple does to the refurbs - new casings, new batteries - you really can't go wrong. If the internals are sound, they tend to stay that way.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #6
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Refurbs are usually good as new. I've got a refurb'd external HD and it works just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion