Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Going to China for a few weeks. Will have access to wifi. Looking for a good iPad compatible VPN that will allow Netflix and ABC without too much buffering. Willing to pay, but prefer a service that has weekly or monthly pricing.

Ideas?

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Bump so the uber geeks can see it, and maybe my friends in China who are now awake.

Ideas on this anyone?

sirxavier

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
I use witopia in china and it works great for me, Their wiki says you can set it up on the iPhone so I don't see why you can't set it up on the iPad, can't try it with my iPad though because I am currently not in china, though I plan to try it in 4 days when I get back.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I'd really appreciate it if you could try Netflix and ABC player on the iPad and let us know. What part of China you'll be in?

I use witopia in china and it works great for me, Their wiki says you can set it up on the iPhone so I don't see why you can't set it up on the iPad, can't try it with my iPad though because I am currently not in china, though I plan to try it in 4 days when I get back.

sirxavier

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
I live in Beijing currently. I don't know about netflix because I don't use it but I remember I got hulu working in my macbook with some terminal hacking, don't know if that can be done on the iPad though. I can try abc once I get back in 4 days. :)

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
Currently using WiTopia as well. I've been in the Beijing/Beijing suburb for the last 3 weeks. All I can say is yes the WiTopia works great if you are on a laptop using their SSL tunnel, but the PPTP isn't so great. I suspect that the China "Great Firewall" still affects PPTP connections, as I've had issues visiting some website and had connections time out.

I just tested the witopia's PPTP to their LA endpoint on my ipad and iphone 4. The ABC player displays errors and tells me that I need to close and reopen the app. The Netflix for the ipad does load up, but super slow and the streaming is more like stuttering. This very well could be due to the crappy internet provider I'm given or could be the vpn or both, as I'm not sure what's the reason for the slow down. The VPN DOES work, but for video feeds, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you had a very stable and very fast down/up from your ISP. My ISP is only given me a speedtest.net speed of about 1Mbps down and like .5Mbps up. Unfortunately for me I don't have the option to change my ISP, but luckily for me I'm out of here in a week! Dealing with China's firewall issues over last 2-3 weeks have been hair-rippingly horrible and make me pine to leave here sooner!
WiTopia through my iphone4 via wi-fi and 3G has been decent, but I don't stream to it, since there is no official netflix app for it. I use it for e-mail and on-the-fly website access. The are issues with visiting some sites, such as Cydia intermittently tells me its unable to resolve or connect to apt.saurik.com. I had to bypass via a proxy. The PPTP vpn sometimes still would NOT connect via my facebook app or foursquare app on the phone to the parent sites. It's actually quite annoying!

I hope you find the right VPN solution for your ipad. I gave up on using my ipad and iphone for anything intense and simply use my laptop. I've have had zero problems with the SSL VPN connections as I'm totally able to visit all the china banned social networks and streaming sites, like youtube, twitter, and facebook, without incident.

Hope this info helps and good luck!

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Are you able to use Hulu with decent quality on your laptop using Witopia?

Currently using WiTopia as well. I've been in the Beijing/Beijing suburb for the last 3 weeks. All I can say is yes the WiTopia works great if you are on a laptop using their SSL tunnel, but the PPTP isn't so great. I suspect that the China "Great Firewall" still affects PPTP connections, as I've had issues visiting some website and had connections time out.

I just tested the witopia's PPTP to their LA endpoint on my ipad and iphone 4. The ABC player displays errors and tells me that I need to close and reopen the app. The Netflix for the ipad does load up, but super slow and the streaming is more like stuttering. This very well could be due to the crappy internet provider I'm given or could be the vpn or both, as I'm not sure what's the reason for the slow down. The VPN DOES work, but for video feeds, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you had a very stable and very fast down/up from your ISP. My ISP is only given me a speedtest.net speed of about 1Mbps down and like .5Mbps up. Unfortunately for me I don't have the option to change my ISP, but luckily for me I'm out of here in a week! Dealing with China's firewall issues over last 2-3 weeks have been hair-rippingly horrible and make me pine to leave here sooner!
WiTopia through my iphone4 via wi-fi and 3G has been decent, but I don't stream to it, since there is no official netflix app for it. I use it for e-mail and on-the-fly website access. The are issues with visiting some sites, such as Cydia intermittently tells me its unable to resolve or connect to apt.saurik.com. I had to bypass via a proxy. The PPTP vpn sometimes still would NOT connect via my facebook app or foursquare app on the phone to the parent sites. It's actually quite annoying!

I hope you find the right VPN solution for your ipad. I gave up on using my ipad and iphone for anything intense and simply use my laptop. I've have had zero problems with the SSL VPN connections as I'm totally able to visit all the china banned social networks and streaming sites, like youtube, twitter, and facebook, without incident.

Hope this info helps and good luck!

mat4020

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Zhuhai, China
I live in Zhuhai, China (just on the other side of the Pearl river from HK) and use Strong VPN on both my mbp and iPad. I just downloaded ABC Player to check it out and watched an episode of some really horrible show. It took 30 seconds or so to "load", but I had no problems with stuttering while watching the show.

I don't have netflix, so I can't speak for that.

Let me know if I can try anything else out for you!

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
How about Hulu.com on your laptop?

Also, any experience/opinion Strong VPN vs Witopia?

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Also, are you using L2TP or PPTP? Which Strong VPN Server are you connecting to?
Thanks! :)

mat4020

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Zhuhai, China
Hulu on my laptop works great, no buffering at all.

A few of the teachers I work with swear by Witopia, but I've never used it. I know a few of them have had problems with in the past, but I've also heard really good things about them.

I use the $55/yr 3-city special (pptp) to connect to the San Francisco server.

stil

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
I'm in Hunan and I use 12vpn. Destop, iPad, iPhone all work great. In this area some friends have had problems with Witopia and have switched to 12vpn.

You need to know what works best in the area you will be because it's not all blocked the same way. The responsibility for blocking is localised.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
leons said:
Also, are you using L2TP or PPTP? Which Strong VPN Server are you connecting to?
Thanks! :)

StrongVPN is good. You will need a PPTP account for the iPad. Try getting on one of their servers in San Francisco. It should be faster then their others.

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
How about Hulu.com on your laptop?

Also, any experience/opinion Strong VPN vs Witopia?

Hulu.com works perfect on the laptop using WiTopia SSL to their Los Angeles server here in Beijing. Just watched a short SNL monologue with Betty White, which I believe just earned her an Emmy.

Nathaniell

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I'm also on 12vpn

Ya, I agree with the guy in Hunan. 12vpn is great, and cheap. Only 30 dollars for a year is like 16 rmb a month. A crappy beefsteak will cost you 50! There's a comparison of 12vpn and strongvpn here

http://unblockfacebookinchina.info/12vpn-vs-strongvpn

There's also some other info on vpns and China to check out there. Have fun and if you come to Fujian give me a shout!:cool:

leons

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I am the thread starter. I finally settled on 12VPN as well. I have since tested it in both the US and China. It is great! Highly, highly, highly recommended for ANY VPN need (in China or otherwise).

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
i use tunnelbear in hong kong and it allows me to stream my usa netflix. it even has an ipad/iphone app so its pretty convenient

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.