Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

violinist67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I recently bought a 15" macbook pro with retina display. I mostly want to use it for school but i also want to play games on the side. I really want to play the witcher 2 but all i see online is ranting about horrible performance. I was wondering if i ran the game with windows 7 on bootcamp how well the game would run?
These are my specs
intel core i7 2.6 ghz
8gb of ram
nvidia gtx 650m graphics card (1gb)
i heard there was a driver issue for the 650m but is that only for running on mac?

Also i have an xbox 360 so is it possible that it will run better on that?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Your 650M and decent CPU / memory in the rMBP should allow you to run the game at decent settings at 1920-1080p at around 30fps.

Don't run in Native retina resolution ( it's too high )

Yes it will look better than the Xbox 360 version. (Which is equivalent to a Sub 1280x720 resolution, low-medium settings, 20-30fps gameplay)

Run at high settings, do not try running with Ubersampling - this is for massive GPU's in SLI style mode. It kills performance on nearly all but the most elite systems.

violinist67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Ok ill just buy the game since its only $20 so it's worth risking that it might not work.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Ok ill just buy the game since its only $20 so it's worth risking that it might not work.

There's no "risk" involved. It ran well even on last year's model. You not only bought an extremely powerful computer but an upgraded model of it, so I'm surprised you don't know that already. :) Enjoy!

I'd suggest waiting a bit though because its frequently been going on sale for about 7 dollars recently and should again soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.