Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
My wife has an iphone 5 on straight talk (gah, I hate them) and every time she gets a carrier update she loses data and MMS. It's a huge pain because she is very dependent on GPS to get to business calls. This can't be fixed until she gets home and I can do a sim swap to fix the APN, and sometimes I get home after she is asleep so she goes 2 days without data/MMS.

Anyway, is there any way on a IP5 to disable getting these carrier updates?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
My wife has an iphone 5 on straight talk (gah, I hate them) and every time she gets a carrier update she loses data and MMS. It's a huge pain because she is very dependent on GPS to get to business calls. This can't be fixed until she gets home and I can do a sim swap to fix the APN, and sometimes I get home after she is asleep so she goes 2 days without data/MMS.

Anyway, is there any way on a IP5 to disable getting these carrier updates?

I really don't think there's any way to disable getting the mandatory carrier updates

There is probably a way via jailbreaking but you sacrifice a lot of functionality to do so.

I believe CommCenter is what handles all this

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki//System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.Framework/Support/CommCenter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.