Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Salty222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Oregon
I currently own a MBP 13" early 2011. I'm getting an iPhone 5 shipped to me today or tomorrow. I'm currently in school and will be for the next three years. Currently my laptop primarily sits on my desk and doesn't move yet for the rare occasion. I have recently bought a iPad 4 and the MBP doesn't move all the more so, now that I have my iPad.

My question is, I primarily use my MBP for school work, netflix, web surfing, podcast hosting etc. Would it be smart to sell my MBP and the iPhone and with the money buy an upgraded Mac Mini?

Thanks.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I wouldn't want my only portable device to be an ipad.

I don't know used pricing in the US, but how much more would you need if you just sold the MBP? It can't be that far off an entry level mac mini.

Salty222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Oregon
Yeah only askin cause don't use laptop as laptop anymore. I'm wondering if a Mac mini will last longer than a laptop.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I currently own a MBP 13" early 2011. I'm getting an iPhone 5 shipped to me today or tomorrow. I'm currently in school and will be for the next three years. Currently my laptop primarily sits on my desk and doesn't move yet for the rare occasion. I have recently bought a iPad 4 and the MBP doesn't move all the more so, now that I have my iPad.

My question is, I primarily use my MBP for school work, netflix, web surfing, podcast hosting etc. Would it be smart to sell my MBP and the iPhone and with the money buy an upgraded Mac Mini?

Thanks.

Keep the Macbook Pro. It does everything the Mini does and has a screen/keyboard/trackpad

It's up to you if you want to sell the iPhone 5 but you'll get a pretty penny for a brand new one. I'd guess at LEAST 700 dollars. I was able to get 825 for mine.

With that money you can upgrade your ram, get a nice fast 256gb SSD and an AppleTV for your TV in your room with probably 300 dollars to spare.

----------

Yeah only askin cause don't use laptop as laptop anymore. I'm wondering if a Mac mini will last longer than a laptop.

Won't you need it for homework?

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I'm thinking you could trade your MBP itself for a mini (debated offering mine!) but then you would need a monitor.

Do kids still get together for study groups? I would be annoyed copying someone's notes onto my iPad. Maybe it's all electronic now?

Salty222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Oregon
Yeah I've actually already bought and sold an iPhone 5 on ebay. Had two upgrades this time around and made a cool $650 dollars profit from the first upgrade I had. That is how I bought my iPad4. Love taking advantage of the demand for Apple products these days.

This is my second iPhone 5 and I think I'm going to keep it, along with the MBP as well. Gonna upgrade RAM on MBP to help with podcasting and in the future get an SSD drive.

Thanks for all the input fellas. Love this forum!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.