Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallraff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Hi. I have a useful simple automator app/droplet I've created and wish to distribute the app to my collegues.

They cannot open and run it, gatekeeper stops it, since it says its from a unidentified developer. Can I add this information to the app somehow?
I have a free developer account at apple and xcode installed but normally dont use it.

What can i do to add the developer info to the app?
Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Have a look at this:

https://developer.apple.com/library...s.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005929-CH4-SW2

Keep in mind that an app in OS X is just a bundle that contains executable code somewhere in it. So you can add a Info.plist file if the automater applications don't have them by default (although I imagine they probably do, since every bundle I've ever looked in, whether a plugin, app, or docset has had an Info.plist file in it.)

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
An Automator "application" is really just a self-running workflow that is actually run by the Automator Launcher, so I don't know how that would work. How are you distributing the workflow (zip, dmg, etc)?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
See this article:
OS X: About Gatekeeper

There are two sections that may be relevant to you:

1. Get a Developer ID from Apple:
For apps that are downloaded from places other than the Mac App Store, developers can get a unique Developer ID from Apple and use it to digitally sign their apps. ...
A paid membership can definitely get a signing key. I don't know if a non-paying membership can.

So sign up first for a non-paying Developer Program membership, then follow the instructions on how to get a code-signing key (google search terms: os x code signing). If you can obtain a code-signing key (or if you can't), then report back and tell us what you did and what actually happened.

2. See the subheading: "How to open an app from a unidentified developer and exempt it from Gatekeeper".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.