Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use your thunderbolt port?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • I don't have one

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I have the first Macbook Pro to come with a Thunderbolt connecter. I remember it being hailed as a Very Cool New Feature when I got it. I have never used it. There is hardly anything available for it and what is available is wicked expensive. I would trade it in a heartbeat for a USB 3.0 port. The front page story about Intel and Thunderbolt inspired this thread for me today. Do you use yours?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm sure some people use it and some don't but it's still a relatively new interface. It may catch on (more?), it may not. If it does, prices will come down and more devices will support it. I think it's too early to say either way.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Thunderbolt is like the early days of FireWire, IMHO. Expensive, and NOT, N. O. T. not an intended replacement for USB. Simply, it's an expensive but very high speed I/O. People singing it's overture are forgetting the FireWire was around for YEARS before it became standard on the Mac and was VERY VERY expensive initially.

That said, I use it for my Cinema display (so, in miniDP mode) but nothing yet. For my uses, a cheaper USB 3.0 drive is adequate. Honestly, I'd like to see some real world numbers. USB 3.0 @ 5Gbps seems, to me, plenty fast enough for a spinning hard disk. It is, in theory, 5/6th the speed of SATA III. Now an array of SSD's is another story, but, I am curious if a spinning hard drive is actually faster via thunderbolt or not.

Also, OP, I've heard that some folks are supposed to be coming out with a thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter (And there are already USB 3.0 'docking stations'). But, for the price, WHATEVER it is, I'd think a USB 3.0 hub would work just as well. Even though I don't use it, I wouldn't trade it for another USB port. It isn't an 'extra' port as it's the existing miniDP port that's always been there, and I don't want to get rid of my external video support. I use it every day. And who knows, one day I might use it, especially if docking station prices drop.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Yup using it every day with either a daisy-chained set of FW drives, my external monitors, or my SSD TB drive. Fantastic. Wouldn't trade them for more USB 3.0 ports ever.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
FWIW using the Mini DisplayPort connection through the Thunderbolt port shouldn't count since pre-Thunderbolt Macs have had Mini DisplayPort ports.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm using it for my display with a mini-DP->DVI adapter due to HDMI issues on the 2012 Mini. I would use thunderbolt peripherals if there were more to choose from, and they were closer in price to USB 3.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I occasionally use it to connect my MBP to my TV via mini displayport to HDMI adapter. I don't have any Thunderbolt peripherals, though.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Use Thunderbolt to plug my rMBP to a Matrox DS1 port replicator. Put the laptop on the desk, plug in one cable and get external monitor, LAN, and USB speakers all at once. It's like a TBD except I'm using a separate display over DVI from the Matrox box. Works great.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Use Thunderbolt to plug my rMBP to a Matrox DS1 port replicator. Put the laptop on the desk, plug in one cable and get external monitor, LAN, and USB speakers all at once. It's like a TBD except I'm using a separate display over DVI from the Matrox box. Works great.

I think that's what I would most likely use thunderbolt for, though I'm having a hard time justifying the cost right now.

Since thunderbolt AND displayport displays can be daisy-chained, in my mind, wouldn't the technology allow for two distinct DVI (or miniDP, etc.) ports to exist on a dock? Now THAT would pry my wallet open. I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display, AND a 23" LG LCD panel. Sans a cheesy USB adapter, I have no way of using both even though I would absolutely love to. I want to drive both displays at native resolution at full native speeds. Buried deep inside my MBP has all of the technology to support it, since it can handle two daisy chained displays, but nobody yet has a way to make the 'daisy chain' actually two discrete video ports for using with two separate monitors that don't, themselves, support daisy chaining!

There are faux solutions, like USB adapters or adapters that turn the output into one huge display, but if I already have one port that contains the ability to connect to two different displays operating independently, why should I have to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.