Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drmsa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Really would appreciate some help here please.

Trying to copy a few large video files from my 27 inch iMac to an External HDD formatted as NTFS so that I could playback on my Samsung TV. (only accepts NTFS/Fat32)

Every time I try to transfer the files, I get the dreaded - 36 error! However if I try to transfer it from iMac to a Mac OS X Extended external HDD - No problems what so ever.

Things I have already attempted:
1) formatted the external HDD
2) tried the Terminal command thing
3) tried renaming the folders
4) tried copying files separately
5) just reinstalled my entire OS X on the iMac as I thought may be there was some software conflicts.

Currently using the Paragon NTFS driver for my iMac.

Anyone knows how I can rectify this.

Thanks in advance.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Really would appreciate some help here please.

Trying to copy a few large video files from my 27 inch iMac to an External HDD formatted as NTFS so that I could playback on my Samsung TV. (only accepts NTFS/Fat32)

Every time I try to transfer the files, I get the dreaded - 36 error! However if I try to transfer it from iMac to a Mac OS X Extended external HDD - No problems what so ever.

Things I have already attempted:
1) formatted the external HDD
2) tried the Terminal command thing
3) tried renaming the folders
4) tried copying files separately
5) just reinstalled my entire OS X on the iMac as I thought may be there was some software conflicts.

Currently using the Paragon NTFS driver for my iMac.

Anyone knows how I can rectify this.

Thanks in advance.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100402121353AATVlMt

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Yes, just format the drive in Fat32, an option in Disk Utility.

FAT32 has an individual file size limit of 4GB. Depending on the size of the video files that are being written to the drive, the OP may not be able to follow through with this recommended solution.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
FAT32 has an individual file size limit of 4GB. Depending on the size of the video files that are being written to the drive, the OP may not be able to follow through with this recommended solution.

Quite so - not having used it for some time, I had forgotten that.

Thank you for the correction.

drmsa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
London, United Kingdom
tried changing the names, no luck. however found something really interesting. if I were to transfer files over to my macbook, (also running mountain lion) connected that to my external HDD, i can copy all the files over to it without any issues!

How is that possible? Does it mean my HDD on the iMac is about to fail? Done a clean format and install, ran Check Disk, etc - no errors what soever!

thanks guys for trying.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
tried changing the names, no luck. however found something really interesting. if I were to transfer files over to my macbook, (also running mountain lion) connected that to my external HDD, i can copy all the files over to it without any issues!

How is that possible? Does it mean my HDD on the iMac is about to fail? Done a clean format and install, ran Check Disk, etc - no errors what soever.

Not if you were able to transfer it from the iMac to the HFS+ external drive.

Other possibilities;

Some HD manufacturers offer a "bundled" Paragon NTFS which is crippled to only work with that manufacturer's drive - updates to v9 or 10 don't seem to be possible for this bundled version of Paragon NTFS.

Settings may differ from your iMac to your MacBook. Compare the control panel's settings.

Some HD manufacturers also offer a third party USB driver that has better read/write performance than Apple's own driver. It's possible (if it's applicable here) that it has a conflict with Paragon's NTFS driver and is only installed on one machine.

As a rule, I never install the bundled software that comes with an external drive. Sure, you might miss out on some feature, like level indicators, but I'm not interested in that feature.

Adding to all the above some late model USB drives have had firmware updates which might resolve issues (My 1TB USB3 Western Digital MyBook does). However, I'm always loathed to install them, unless I have a complete backup of the drive's content, and I always reformat them after the firmware update as a precaution.

I should ask, what size is the largest file AND what make & model is the external drive?

I guess it all depends on whether you want to resolve the problem, or use the work-around you've discovered. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.