Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lstar4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I am considering getting a software like Cakewalk on Mac, and friends mentioned to me Logic Pro,
But I see there is Logic pro and Logic studio, what are the differences between the two?

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
Not true. You can still purchase the physical version of Logic Studio 9 from the Apple Online Store.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I am considering getting a software like Cakewalk on Mac, and friends mentioned to me Logic Pro,
But I see there is Logic pro and Logic studio, what are the differences between the two?

Logic Studio is the package of apps (Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2, Soundtrack Pro 3), and Logic Pro is standalone. You should buy it in physical format IMO. There is likely to be an update in the next couple of months, and we don't know the upgrade path, and you could easily sell your physical, recoup the costs, and then buy the newest digital versions of the apps. Plus, it has some nice bonus stuff you might like that the digital version doesn't have.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB795Z/A/logic-studio#overview

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
does the app store version work on leopard or snow leopard? i know most people wont care, just wondering.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know you could still buy the disk version. But the app store version is only $200 and Mainstage is $40 from the app store. I already have an old version of SoundTrack Pro that came with Final Cut Studio but never really used it.

$260 sounds like a big premium to pay for the disk version, but the point is well taken that you can sell the disks but not the app store version.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The first question I have is "Why not use Garage Band?" I'm not saying to use it but your answer will tell us a lot.

Try it for a while. The good thing is that GB projects can be opened in Logic so you do not loose any work. But working in GB is free because yu already have it on your Mac. While using it write down any annoying limitations. Then list in hand you can choose your upgrade path.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
fwiw, i've run cakewalk with some sequences I had from 1997-1999 perfectly well in winXP parallels - i was blown away it could even play.

at the very least, i was able to .wav out each track so I could work with the old info.

Whether it could still be used reliably or without all the modern tools we're used to now... that's up to you. Sometimes limitations breed creativity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.