Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Newbie Alert!:apple:

I am thinking of buying my first Mac ever (The new iMac 27"), but i am having a hard time on the specs.

I make music and plan to use Logic Pro 9, aside from that i also use the Adobe Products (Photoshop, Premiere and AE).

My budget is around 2K, wouldn't wanna stretch too much but i can if i have to.

1. Will i5 be ok or should i chose the i7?

2. Fusion drive or regular HDD. Can i later add a SSD (3rd party) to the imac?

3. I heard that I can add the "Apple care" later if i decide to, is that true?

I'd appreciate any advise on this!

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
1- Depends on your software. If they take advantage of the hyperthreading the i7 will offer over the i5. You will hardly see the difference between the two anyway.

2- Fusion drive of course. No you can't add a third party (at least at the moment). Nobody knows for sure but if can it will probably be something from OWC which is a "ram style" ssd and not a 2.5 inch classic ssd format.

3- You have 1 year after the buy to add Apple care. I don't think it changed.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
1- Depends on your software. If they take advantage of the hyperthreading the i7 will offer over the i5. You will hardly see the difference between the two anyway.

2- Fusion drive of course. No you can't add a third party (at least at the moment). Nobody knows for sure but if can it will probably be something from OWC which is a "ram style" ssd and not a 2.5 inch classic ssd format.

Good advise except that you probably can upgrade to a SSD, just wait a couple of days until iFixit opens this iMac, you will see you can swap the HHD to a SSD.
Edit:All SSD> FusionDrive
I firmly believe this one can be opened fairly easy as the older one, the glass front probably will come of easy(magnets)and with it comes the display.

Last edited:

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012

Fusion drive, I5, no apple care for a year it is!

Thank you!

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I expect this iMac to be a lot more complicated to open and close than the previous. If you want ssd you shoul definitely get fusion now when you buy it...ditch the apple care, get that later. And the i7 isn't such a huge price jump, so get that also if u can. But most of all as others say, don't ditch the fusion and hope you can add it yourself later... That too much hassle for a few bucks.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Good advise except that you probably can upgrade to a SSD, just wait a couple of days until iFixit opens this iMac, you will see you can swap the HHD to a SSD.
Edit:All SSD> FusionDrive
I firmly believe this one can be opened fairly easy as the older one, the glass front probably will come of easy(magnets)and with it comes the display.

Of course SSD > FusionDrive but the guy is hesitating between two ~200$ options and the SSD is 1300$ .... not the same ballpark (side note i will be opting for the all ssd myself).

And i also was taking for a fact that a guy putting newbie alert in a post is not gonna be the guy to open up an imac with probably a hair dryer to put a non-standard ssd in it. Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't look like it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Of course SSD > FusionDrive but the guy is hesitating between two ~200$ options and the SSD is 1300$ .... not the same ballpark (side note i will be opting for the all ssd myself).

And i also was taking for a fact that a guy putting newbie alert in a post is not gonna be the guy to open up an imac with probably a hair dryer to put a non-standard ssd in it. Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't look like it.

Yeah, I realized that too late. Fair enough.

But, I don't think it will be glued, we will find out soon though, just a couple of days to go, looking forward to a teardown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.