Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Aug 26, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1901
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Post Your Connection Speed Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by .macbookpro. View Post
Thats not over WiFi is it? I only get 100Mb/s over wifi, and constant disconnections from our 3 Airport Expresses and Smart TV. Hopefully the Airport Extreme arriving tomorrow will sort it out, otherwise its £150 wasted.

Yep, over WiFi.
We went from Sky to Virgin's TiVo TV box as it's much cheaper, and they installed a new SuperHub while they were at it. The old one we got ~90Mbps downstairs and ~20Mbps upstairs over WiFi; now, we get ~130Mbps downstairs and ~75Mbps upstairs. That Speedtest was literally on top of the router.

It hasn't been dropping out like the last one either, though I did have to disconnect and reconnect on my iPad once or twice.

However, hopefully next year, I'll get a new ac Time Capsule and just have the SuperHub in modem mode - I've always found Apple's routers to be the most reliable.

Last edited by cambookpro; Aug 26, 2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:41 AM   #1902
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Yep, over WiFi.
We went from Sky to Virgin's TiVo TV box as it's much cheaper, and they installed a new SuperHub while they were at it. The old one we got ~90Mbps downstairs and ~20Mbps upstairs over WiFi; now, we get ~130Mbps downstairs and ~75Mbps upstairs. That Speedtest was literally on top of the router.

It hasn't been dropping out like the last one either, though I did have to disconnect and reconnect on my iPad once or twice.

However, hopefully next year, I'll get a new ac Time Capsule and just have the SuperHub in modem mode - I've always found Apple's routers to be the most reliable.
Just set up the new Airport Extreme.

Same location as before,(about 15m away with walls in between) but now get ~ 50Mb/s faster over wifi. No drop outs after half a day, but there is a problem between this and our LG WebOS TV. I reckon its to do with the AE's single network for both 2GHz and 5GHz.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:57 AM   #1903
EOB
macrumors member

Connected over wifi, I must say I am satisfied with my speeds, especially when I am only paying 60/month for it. Plus I cannot get any other ISP in the area

Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1904
puckhead193
macrumors G3

had fios installed yesterday 150/150 plan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.24.06 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	493136  
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1905
M0esmac
macrumors 6502a

Just got 3rd gen AirPort Extreme. Finally can get full speed via 5GHz WiFi.

Old Sep 19, 2014, 06:29 AM   #1906
mellofello
macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity how long did it take to download ios8 for you guys with these monster connections?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
Slower than 96% of Thailand……. but paying as much as most. No phone, cable or wifi to my apartment, so "mobile broadband" is the only option…. up to 7.2 Mb/sec. advertised but currently getting just 3.5% of that. Cannot say that is it false advertising, strictly speaking, but somewhat misleading none the less.

Cloud computing, cloud storage, streaming, download Mavericks… forget it.

http://<a rel="nofollow" href="http:...>Image</a></a>
I was just in Thailand 2 weeks ago. I was surprised that there were still billboards everywhere for 3g service. I roamed with my us plan and it swapped through about a dozen carriers. All of them were universally crap.

I think I could deal with it to live there though. Beautiful country.
mellofello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1907
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello View Post
I was just in Thailand 2 weeks ago. I was surprised that there were still billboards everywhere for 3g service. I roamed with my us plan and it swapped through about a dozen carriers. All of them were universally crap.

I think I could deal with it to live there though. Beautiful country.
Thailand has a history of being relatively early to adopt technology, then not moving with the advances. After living here off and on for about 15 of the past 35 years, I still appreciate its beautiful veneer, while being well aware of the strengths, weaknesses and perplexities that underpin it.

Sunset scene, from my desk:

Slightly faster than the last time I tested, but still slower than 93% of Thailand!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 09:06 PM   #1908
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Back to what I have come to expect as normal:

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery