Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Please note, this isn't asking whether Office is a good product or not. What I would like to ask is whether buying a used, open copy of Office is legit or not, or whether I will have to deal with potential activation issues, etc.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Nope, not worth the risk...At best you will have to jump through Microsoft hoops to get the code changed....At worst it will still be in use and you end up with no software and no money....Buy a new copy, it's the safest way, but FWIW at the moment, it's so full of bugs made worse by the recent updates that I would leave it alone entirely....Outlook is useless now, and many are finding Word and Excel also have issues.

I have 2 licensed copies, but I'm not even using them at present.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Nope, not worth the risk...At best you will have to jump through Microsoft hoops to get the code changed....At worst it will still be in use and you end up with no software and no money....Buy a new copy, it's the safest way, but FWIW at the moment, it's so full of bugs made worse by the recent updates that I would leave it alone entirely....Outlook is useless now, and many are finding Word and Excel also have issues.

Geez, they might as well eliminate box sales if it might be that complex. Thanks for the heads-up.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

2008 Version is fine (no Outlook, of course).

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
The only way I would do it is if you, the seller, and Microsoft get on the phone at the same time and they transfer the license/activation to you while all are together and you verify it works.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It'll be fine. First off Microsofts activation system is not that difficult. I transfer licenses of Office frequently from old computers to new computers. There is no paperwork to fill out or jumping through hoops to get the license activated.

Most of the time you just install the used Office, type in the key and activate over the internet (probably between 95% and 99% of the time this works). MS knows computers fail, get old, get new boot drives, &c. Each of these scenarios generates a unique installation ID from the serial number, requiring a unique activation key to activate.

I don't know what the time interval is but after several weeks or months the MS activation servers reset and allow the serial number to be used again on a new computer. If it has been too soon. You will be provided with a phone number to call. When calling it has two steps the first you type in the installation ID the the system gives you the activation code. In the extremely rare event this does not work you go on to a live operator. Tell them you replaced your computers, they say okee dokee and give you your installation ID.

Autodesk already lost a lawsuit over selling used software. At least in the US you have the right to resell software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.