Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
So I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini and opting for the 256GB SSD. It's an extra $300, but that seems like a decent deal (at least by Apple gouging standards). It would probably cost me $225 to buy a drive and kit to install it myself. So I guess I'd basically be paying $75 plus the cost of a 1TB drive to keep my warranty and not potentially break something in my new computer.

Anyway, I'm assuming the BTO 256GB SSD is just taking up one "spot" and isn't actually 2 128GB SSDs somehow masquerading as one drive. I'd like to make sure that I have the option of installing an internal hard drive or even another SSD sometime in the future. Does anyone know?

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I doubt its two 128GB hard drives, that wouldn't make sense so I'm sure you could add a 1TB as well.

natesymer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
New Jersey
I would go with an aftermarket SSD. They are much faster and reliable, plus you can get them for cheaper. For $300 you could get an aftermarket 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. You would just need OWC's data doubler for mac mini.

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
It's a single 256GB SSD. There is room for another drive. That's what I got and I popped in a Seagate 750GB Hybrid drive in the second spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.