Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I am looking at getting a digital microscope and I am trying to find one that would have the best compatibility with my mac air so that the display is the best it can be. I have a mid 2011 Mac with Lion.

I have been looking at the Wolfe DigiVu 3.0 Microscope and someone on another forum suggested Omax for Apple.

Please - if there is anyone out there with knowledge on this I greatly would appreciate your help.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
wow - 324 views and not one person who can answer. I thought for sure this would have come up for more people than just myself.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
wow - 324 views and not one person who can answer. I thought for sure this would have come up for more people than just myself.

Did you seriously expect thousands of people flooding this thread to answer your question? Barely anyone has a microscope, or uses one. In fact, you're the first person I knew to use a microscope with a mac.

Microscopes are like And you can't buy individual of those things, you have to buy them in huge numbers making them cost somewhere in For someone with no use for a microscope (which is majority of people here in MacRumors Forums), that amount of money is just mind blowing for an item that is useless.

ScanPro

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Harkonnen City, Gedi Prime
I am looking at getting a digital microscope and I am trying to find one that would have the best compatibility with my mac air so that the display is the best it can be. I have a mid 2011 Mac with Lion.

I have been looking at the Wolfe DigiVu 3.0 Microscope and someone on another forum suggested Omax for Apple.

Please - if there is anyone out there with knowledge on this I greatly would appreciate your help.

Maybe I can Help,
Try a good optical scope with a good scope camera. There are millions of used very high quality scopes for sale in all areas at good prices. The CCD in the scope camera is the same tech as in the fully digital microscopes that are coming on tha market.
SP

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Did you seriously expect thousands of people flooding this thread to answer your question? Barely anyone has a microscope, or uses one. In fact, you're the first person I knew to use a microscope with a mac.

Microscopes are like And you can't buy individual of those things, you have to buy them in huge numbers making them cost somewhere in For someone with no use for a microscope (which is majority of people here in MacRumors Forums), that amount of money is just mind blowing for an item that is useless.

Wow - someone is a bit grumpy aren't they! For one you can buy microscopes per piece and for two, if you don't have anything helpful to add please just go on to the next thread.

----------

Maybe I can Help,
Try a good optical scope with a good scope camera. There are millions of used very high quality scopes for sale in all areas at good prices. The CCD in the scope camera is the same tech as in the fully digital microscopes that are coming on tha market.
SP

I had thought of that, but I am buying it for my child. He will be home schooled and I am looking at a microscope that will last through his high school experience. I was looking at the digital microscopes because I thought the idea of having it displayed on a larger screen would make things more interesting for him.

So with that in mind would you still recommend the optical scope camera? I really want him to be able to do experiments and lab work just as if he was in school. He is quite bright and so I want to help him excel anyway I can.

Thanks

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, a bit grumpy, but he gave a true answer - I've also never heard anyone ask about microscopes, so I think your question is pretty rare, and people are interested enough to see the answers but have no good info for you.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Then why did you bump the thread when people were doing that?

Just because I bump the thread does not mean rudeness needs to be the response. I get that this is a rare question. I just stated that I thought more people would have encountered this.

All I am trying to do is get something that will work well for my boy. It is a lot of money to pay and I don't make much. So I am just trying to see if there is any 'helpful' info out there.

ScanPro

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Wow - someone is a bit grumpy aren't they! For one you can buy microscopes per piece and for two, if you don't have anything helpful to add please just go on to the next thread.

----------

I had thought of that, but I am buying it for my child. He will be home schooled and I am looking at a microscope that will last through his high school experience. I was looking at the digital microscopes because I thought the idea of having it displayed on a larger screen would make things more interesting for him.

So with that in mind would you still recommend the optical scope camera? I really want him to be able to do experiments and lab work just as if he was in school. He is quite bright and so I want to help him excel anyway I can.

Thanks

A high quality used scope can be had for less than much less than 2k, at that price you can have Bright field/dark field, different filters. Look for a used Nikon, or Olympus. Check out a site called corp asset exchange, they have thousands of scopes at all prices ranges with and with out cameras. You might be able to find a complete package including bells and whistles. Also a high quality scope will last a LONG time and if required can be cleaned and serviced by mom and pop shops all across the USA.
If you are just interested in a scope camera, Sony, Hitachi, Pannasonic all make scope cameras for around 200-800$
SP

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I use a digital microscope for component level repair of logic boards.
Got it on eBay. Paid $40.00 500x zoom. Comes with a cheap little stand. If you are looking for ones the you can see cells, etc that need light shining through the bottom then these do not work. There are compatible ones for the Mac, but they are a lot more expensive. Mine works on my Mac(attached a photo) but the features are limited. I can not record video or take pictures with the built in button on the scope itself. On the mac I just hit shift/command/3 to take a screen shot.
The picture shows a logic board chip the that is 3/16" square the small black resistors around it look like dust specs.

So, I am not sure if this is the kind you are looking for but just search digital microscope on eBay and away you go.
Also, Amscope.com is a great source for quality scopes.

Attachments

• Chip.jpg
    Chip.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 381
Last edited:

jybrick

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
AmScope

I have actually been looking for something like this. What I have been leaning towards are two AmScope microscopes.

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-40X-2500X-Advanced-Microscope-Mechanical/dp/B0080C8MR8
which is a 2MP camera attachment and

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-40X-2500X-Infinity-Trinocular-Microscope/dp/B005Q0GTHW
which has a 10 MP camera attachment.

They are both supposedly Mac compatible but I don't have any firsthand knowledge.

Not all AmScope microscopes with digital cameras are Mac compatible so be sure to double check that if you decide on another one.

BTW, ignore the idiots that have nothing to contribute and nothing better to do.

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I have actually been looking for something like this. What I have been leaning towards are two AmScope microscopes.

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-40X-2500X-Advanced-Microscope-Mechanical/dp/B0080C8MR8
which is a 2MP camera attachment and

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-40X-2500X-Infinity-Trinocular-Microscope/dp/B005Q0GTHW
which has a 10 MP camera attachment.

They are both supposedly Mac compatible but I don't have any firsthand knowledge.

BTW, ignore the idiots that have nothing to contribute and nothing better to do.

If you go on Amscope.com they use an "MA" in the model number description of the Mac compatible microscope. For example Model MA500.
Also, not sure you are aware, but you can by the Microscope and generally choose what ever Digital piece you want to attach to it. They are a great help to talk to on the phone. Just tell them what you are trying to do and they will point you to the right scope. Your first link I do not believe is the mac compatible, but the second is.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I use a digital microscope for component level repair of logic boards.
Got it on eBay. Paid $40.00 500x zoom. Comes with a cheap little stand. If you are looking for ones the you can see cells, etc that need light shining through the bottom then these do not work. There are compatible ones for the Mac, but they are a lot more expensive. Mine works on my Mac(attached a photo) but the features are limited. I can not record video or take pictures with the built in button on the scope itself. On the mac I just hit shift/command/3 to take a screen shot.
The picture shows a logic board chip the that is 3/16" square the small black resistors around it look like dust specs.

So, I am not sure if this is the kind you are looking for but just search digital microscope on eBay and away you go.
Also, Amscope.com is a great source for quality scopes.

Actually I am looking for something that light will be shining through as this will be used for his biology in school i will need it to be able to view cells and what not.

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Actually I am looking for something that light will be shining through as this will be used for his biology in school i will need it to be able to view cells and what not.

I suggest calling amscope on monday, tell them what you are looking for then either grab one of theirs or you can search on ebay for a similar one. We home school our kids and use a small one for science but it does not have the digital camera. The wife wants me to get one. :) They have student versions of their scopes. Basically it is two pieces: The scope and then the camera, they package them.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011

This is the type of microscope I am looking for - just needing it to work with the mac

Thank you for any help you can share

Attachments

• 591271_mic.jpeg
    591271_mic.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,820
Last edited:

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I suggest calling amscope on monday, tell them what you are looking for then either grab one of theirs or you can search on ebay for a similar one. We home school our kids and use a small one for science but it does not have the digital camera. The wife wants me to get one. :) They have student versions of their scopes. Basically it is two pieces: The scope and then the camera, they package them.

I just posted a picture of the kind I am thinking of. On the scope and camera you are talking about - would it have the sam capabilities?

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I just posted a picture of the kind I am thinking of. On the scope and camera you are talking about - would it have the sam capabilities?

I understand, we have one similar to the one you posted, but it is not built to have the digital camera(aka digital microscope). That is why I am suggesting you talk to them. Then can point you into the right solution. There are lots of options. Like led versus halogen lighting, mega pixels, etc

ScanPro

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
This is the type of microscope I am looking for - just needing it to work with the mac

Thank you for any help you can share
That is a transmission type of scope, For something of this type look at a telescope or binocular store. A camera mount will be on top, (22mm) will be needed. The output of the camera signal I think is PAL thru either USB or FW 400. All you might need is screen capture once the image is on the Air. There might an app for something to help you in the store.
Hope you are figuring out your options.:)
SP

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
That is a transmission type of scope, For something of this type look at a telescope or binocular store. A camera mount will be on top, (22mm) will be needed. The output of the camera signal I think is PAL thru either USB or FW 400. All you might need is screen capture once the image is on the Air. There might an app for something to help you in the store.
Hope you are figuring out your options.:)
SP

Here are the specs of the main one I have been looking at:

Grades 8 - College. Featuring an integral 3.0-megapixel imaging chip and a USB 2.0, plug-and-play computer interface, this microscope can capture amazing microscopic images. View captured images on your monitor or interactive whiteboard and you will appreciate their high resolution (2,048 x 1,536), true colors, and freedom from pixilation. Microscope includes Motic® Images Plus software for Windows® 2000, XP, and Macintosh® OS X; a dust cover; and instructions. View high-resolution microscopic images on your monitor or interactive whiteboard.
Monocular head with 10x, 18-mm widefield eyepiece
Quadruple, reverse-mounted nosepiece protects objectives and provides easy access to stage
DIN** EA achromatic 4x, 10x, and spring-loaded 40x parfocal and parcentric objectives
Seperate coarse and fine focus controls
1.25 N.A. Abbe condensor on spiral mount for 100x oil-immersion microscopy
Built-in mechanical stage with coaxial controls
20-W halogen illumination with intensity control
Wolfe® lifetime limited warranty (excluding bulbs, camera, and cords); 1-year warranty on internal camera
Size: 14"H x 7"W x 8"D; weight: 10.5 lbs.

Hgood1925

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
People are *******s! I have a microscope because they are affordable and my man and I are interested in learning in our spare time a whole lot more then wasting time watching jersey shore etc. and I came on here to find out how to view the microscope images from my MacBook! I can't seem to get mine to work

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
If I were doing this as a hobbyist, I'd take a different route. Get a microscope that has a camera mount, and then get a digital camera that either fits that mount or that has adapters available so that it will fit the mount. Presumably you're not doing anything with fluorescent staining, so you can just focus and then take your photos through the camera, transferring them to your computer afterward.

If you want to control the camera from the computer and see things in real time, that's still doable: just choose a camera body that has software available for that purpose. Canon and Nikon allow you to do that with some of their camera bodies, for example.

The benefit to doing it this way is greater control (ability to take the camera out of "automatic" mode and control exposure) and versatility (ability to swap out the camera body if you get a better one). Back when I was in research, the camera-microscope systems that we used were pretty tightly integrated. They had to be, but it came with those drawbacks...

OpisthorcisX

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
København
Hi there, if you get a light microscope, you don't even need to buy a dedicated digital camera. You can use any mobile phone with a camera through the eyepiece. I use my iPhone 4 routinely in our lab as our Leica Firecam is broken and will not be fixed until the new grant arrives. I collect both still and video footage through the iPhone with Olympus upright and inverted scopes, plus the Leica upright. I've also been able to take fluorescent images - all shots taken through the eyepiece with the phone. I'm guessing you already have a mobile, so any microscope will work.

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.