Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
There's some dirt on the top of the screen on my phone from an old, dirty screen protector. Does anybody have any tips for helping me remove it? It's pretty stubborn and nothing seems to have worked so far.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks. I'll try it as soon as I get hold of some alcohol. Will water work as a substitute?

You can try. Alcohol just acts to break up organics (think oils from your fingers/face) better than water will. You could try a mild soapy solution too. Just don't go too crazy with it. You don't want to be dumping soapy water into your earpiece. Remember, you can always add a little more if what you have mixed isn't sufficient.

Another great thing about the alcohol is that it evaporates much more quickly than does just the water. With soapy water, you have to worry about cleaning the soap off too.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
You can try. Alcohol just seems to break up organics (think oils from your fingers/face) a bit better than water will. You could try a mild soapy solution too. Just don't go too crazy with it. You don't want to be dumping soapy water into your earpiece. Remember, you can always add a little more if what you have mixed isn;t sufficient.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the info! :cool:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There's some dirt on the top of the screen on my phone from an old, dirty screen protector. Does anybody have any tips for helping me remove it? It's pretty stubborn and nothing seems to have worked so far.

Do you mean at the edge where the glass meets white plastic? This is so difficult to clean I ended up giving up, having tried everything I could think of! A cigarette rolling paper is thin enough to get the dirt out, but not great. Now I just don't look so closely as the dirt trapped in mine is really minute, only noticeable in certain light up close.

onemantribe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Do you mean at the edge where the glass meets white plastic? This is so difficult to clean I ended up giving up, having tried everything I could think of! A cigarette rolling paper is thin enough to get the dirt out, but not great. Now I just don't look so closely as the dirt trapped in mine is really minute, only noticeable in certain light up close.

I'm not entirely sure but it's right at the top of the glass right before it drops off into the chamfered edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.