Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Why don't Apple retail stores have tills

It might be more secure but how are they supposed to take cash payments?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
DollFaceDork
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Narnia
Send a message via AIM to DollFaceDork
Unless they're carrying copious amounts of notes and coins in their pockets all day they do have tills, just not front of store.
__________________
21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro , iPhone5 16GB,iPad 3rd gen 16GB, iPod Touch 8GB 5th gen, Canon EOS 7D.
♥Mary Poppins was on something...♥
DollFaceDork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Umm I'm pretty sure they take cash.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
They do. They are hidden. And not often used.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Internaut
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: All over the place but mostly Somewhere in England
Definition of Apple Store (for me, at least): Place I dare not go at weekend, out of fear for my sanity. They don't even have a proper checkout desk.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
youknome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
They do have tills, they're actually hidden away under most of the tables.
youknome is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #7
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Definition of Apple Store (for me, at least): Place I dare not go at weekend, out of fear for my sanity. They don't even have a proper checkout desk.
I avoid them on weekends as well. They do have tills, but hide them. I think that is to discourage cash sales, but they do accept cash.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
I avoid them on weekends as well. They do have tills, but hide them. I think that is to discourage cash sales, but they do accept cash.
Unless you're buying a cheap accessory the benefit of purchase protection with a credit card (or prepaid card) far outweighs any perceived advantage of a cash purchase. I think that advantage alone would discourage cash sales.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Unless you're buying a cheap accessory the benefit of purchase protection with a credit card (or prepaid card) far outweighs any perceived advantage of a cash purchase. I think that advantage alone would discourage cash sales.
Credit card sales only work if you not only have a credit card but also if the CC people will allow your purchase. I've tried calling the CC people the day before I wanted to buy a MBP, went through all the security questions and identified myself, told them where I was going (The Apple store in xx location), how much I was going to spend ($1800), etc and they said "OK, I will mark it, but the system may still reject your purchase." Went to Apple store the next day and Surprise! Even though I called and had more than $ 6,000 of available credit and never carried a balance they still declined the purchases (and of course blocked my card as well). I knew what was coming so I paid cash and the store people had no problem accepting $1800 in $100 bills although they did need a manager to check the bills. When I got home I called the CC people and said "Why did you decline the purchase? They told me it was because the system flagged it as unusual and probably fraudulent or a stolen card and the system could see no reason to allow it and also because I had not called in advance to let them know! Then after I identified myself again and went through all those hoops again, they said "OK, we'll remove the block and you can use your CC again so you can go back and buy the computer." I told them "haha I knew you would reject it so I was prepared and paid cash." they said "Why pay cash? You could charge it!" Dumb cc people. Never figured out why they keep doing this to me. They don't seem to keep records long enough for me to make my bi-annual Mac purchase legit. Maybe they hate people who don't carry several thousand dollars in balances every month?

Every time I make a purchase more than $100 in an Apple store I have cash just in case. It seems that Apple stores are huge targets for stolen credit cards since the products can easily be resold for a good amount.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
...
Every time I make a purchase more than $100 in an Apple store I have cash just in case. It seems that Apple stores are huge targets for stolen credit cards since the products can easily be resold for a good amount.
It sure sounds like you need to find a different credit card to use.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
They do have 'tills' they have 'EasyPay' terminals which are basically iPod Touches which are modified to become a POS system which has a built in card reader.


If you pay by cash staff will create a bill using EasyPay and the Cash Draws are located under the wooden tables out of sight.
__________________
iPhone 5S (16GB Gold) Macbook Pro (Mid '12) 1TB 2.9GHz 8GB iMac (Mid '11) 500GB 2.5GHz 4GB
rsnapeuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnapeuk View Post
They do have 'tills' they have 'EasyPay' terminals which are basically iPod Touches which are modified to become a POS system which has a built in card reader.

Image
If you pay by cash staff will create a bill using EasyPay and the Cash Draws are located under the wooden tables out of sight.
Actually by strict definition, they do have tills... from the dictionary on the Mac "a cash register or drawer for money in a store, bank, or restaurant." And obviously they do have money drawers.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:11 PM   #13
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Actually by strict definition, they do have tills... from the dictionary on the Mac "a cash register or drawer for money in a store, bank, or restaurant." And obviously they do have money drawers.
I used quotation marks around tills because they're till isn't the average till register system.

... I don't understand what you added to my point. Nothing significant that I didn't mention already.

Guess you just want to keep your post count up.
__________________
iPhone 5S (16GB Gold) Macbook Pro (Mid '12) 1TB 2.9GHz 8GB iMac (Mid '11) 500GB 2.5GHz 4GB
rsnapeuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnapeuk View Post
I used quotation marks around tills because they're till isn't the average till register system.

... I don't understand what you added to my point. Nothing significant that I didn't mention already.

Guess you just want to keep your post count up.
Actually it was a misread. I read your "do have" as "don't have". I guess I didn't have enough caffeine yet when I made that post.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 07:36 AM   #15
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
It sure sounds like you need to find a different credit card to use.
This. I have never had any of my banks deny large purchases at the Apple Store (or anywhere) even without me calling in advance. The only time I call to tell them of unusual usage is when I plan on using my card out of the country. You definitely need to find a new bank
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Retail Stores Post $4.5 Billion in Revenue in Q4 2013, 30 New Stores Coming in Fiscal 2014 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 10 Oct 30, 2013 03:23 PM
iPad Mini: Cases in retail stores besides Apple Store? AnthonySager iPad Accessories 7 Nov 2, 2012 08:11 PM
iPad: Will only Apple retail stores have it on Nov 2nd? bidoof01 iPad 25 Oct 30, 2012 12:08 PM
When will Apple retail stores have new Macs? jmthigpen Buying Tips and Advice 7 Jun 21, 2012 02:10 PM
Apple Retail Stores Meeting? Bradllez MacBook Pro 5 Jun 17, 2012 05:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC