Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
elfy
macrumors 6502

Organising ripped movie DVDs in iTunes to include special features

Hi all. I have about 500 movie DVDs I hoped to rip and add to my Apple TV library. I'd like to retain the special features too. I know how to rip them but how would you go about organising them in iTunes so that each special feature from one DVD is grouped as one movie, the way each episode in a season of a TV show does. I don't like the idea of each one appearing in my Apple TV menu as a separate movie. Does that make sense? Sorry if there's a really obvious solution!

Last edited by elfy; Jun 24, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
elfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

So u manipulate the video files metadata. Give everything that's related into the same "album" then each file will have a unique name under the same album, or something like it.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3
ZeRoLiMiT
macrumors 6502

hey man! I did some of these. I use HandBrake and iFlicks works perfect! gives Covert art and all the info on movies, tv shows amazing!!!
ZeRoLiMiT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502a

I use RipIt to retain all features including bonus sections and language subtitles (I watch a lot of foreign langauge films and need the subtitles and even English is useful), it creates a single file. Downside is size, eg 7-8gb per movie. Typically I then process with Handbrake to a 1gb file to allow transfer to iTunes/apple tv/iPad - this does mean having to select any language subtitles and burn them in.
Jambalaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
elfy
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input guys but it appears what I want to do isn't possible. Altering the album name for each file (or any other fields) in iTunes has no effect and each one still appears as a seperate movie in the Apple TV menu. The only way to do it seems to be to change them to TV shows and list them as different episodes of a season but I'm not going to do that. I want to keep them as movies. Quite surprised that this isn't possible.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
priitv8
macrumors 65816

What you are asking for is called iTunes Extras. Unfortunately, you would have to remaster whole content for every single movie.
Oh, and yes, iTunes Extras will only play in iTunes on PC or on the original AppleTV, not on the iOS devices.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

I would use a playlist to do what you want. Create a play list folder named for the film. Inside that you can use a smart playlist to include the files you want. Not a perfect solution but with some tinkering it should work.

You could also set them up as TV shows and treat the movie and each extra as a seperate episode
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
kiranmk2
macrumors 6502

Filling in the 'Album' meta data used to work on the ATV 1. Even at this point it didn't work in iTunes (special features were listed as separate films). At the time I couldn't live with this so didn't bother. Given the ATV2 & 3 seem to format even TV series in a different way to the ATV 1 I'm not surprised this doesn't work. Don't know what Apple are playing at not enabling iTunes Extras support on ATV. If it was more widespread there may be some more 3rd party iTunes Extra tools out there.
kiranmk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I would use a playlist to do what you want. Create a play list folder named for the film. Inside that you can use a smart playlist to include the files you want. Not a perfect solution but with some tinkering it should work.
The main problem I see with this approach is that iOS-based aTV doesn't care for playlists in the Movie view of Home Sharing at all!
Ony place I can use my playlists set up in iTunes, is under Music.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:35 AM   #10
kiranmk2
macrumors 6502

An A6-or A7-based ATV should be able to handle HEVC/h.265 which should mean higher quality or (more likely) smaller filesizes. If I had to guess why the ATV hadn't been opened up to apps it's because Apple has realised the current 8 GB isn't enough.
kiranmk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:03 PM   #11
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
The main problem I see with this approach is that iOS-based aTV doesn't care for playlists in the Movie view of Home Sharing at all!
Ony place I can use my playlists set up in iTunes, is under Music.
You just need to turn them on for movies and tv shows in settings. I use playlist all the time with my two ATV's for listing TV shows the way i want and for grouping movies by actor or sequels
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:17 AM   #12
elfy
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try the playlist thing out tonight and see if that'll work for me.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:15 PM   #13
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You just need to turn them on for movies and tv shows in settings.
Correct! And I even had them enabled. My problem turned out to be the fact that I usually keep my Movie list filtered on "Unwatched" which does not show the playlists option.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:53 PM   #14
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Correct! And I even had them enabled. My problem turned out to be the fact that I usually keep my Movie list filtered on "Unwatched" which does not show the playlists option.
I just created a playlist for unwatched.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:05 AM   #15
Jim.R
macrumors member

Assuming the special features are the same aspect ratio as the movie, I just append the special features to the end of the main movie using mkvtoolnix.
Editing the chapter titles in Subler gives you a quick way to know what's what and allow easy access.
Jim.R is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I just created a playlist for unwatched.
Nice tip! Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater