Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiki61

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
I've got a bit of a problem, which no doubt many here are aware of. I've been using a copy of the now no-longer supported Lineform regularly for my graphics needs since 2007. Since I'm unemployed at the moment, I'm not able to invest in anything new, and despite the fact that the program is buggy, I'm still able to use/workaround it enough for my needs.

However today, while working on a graphics file (which I've been working on for a couple of weeks now), the program won't allow me access, claiming that the trial period is over, and that I need to register. Of course I tried re-registering with my code and order info, but the program refuses to recognize the info, and I can't unlock it. Attempts to retrieve the code (although unnecessary) were unsuccessful as well. I've written to Freeverse, but I'm not counting on hearing anything back from them.

So, I was curious, does anyone have a solution to this problem. Is there anyway around the product code glitch? Is there a program out there to which I can import my raw Lineform files into?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated, as I have several important files and elements which I can no longer access, some of those which I can no longer reproduce from scratch.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'm sorry that you're left in the lurch with project software. So frustrating.

What version OS X are you using? Do you have Time Machine back-ups or a clone of your HDD? If so, I would try going backward and seeing if things work that way.

Check Graphic Converter's site, perhaps that software can open a Lineform file, I don't see mention of what their proprietary file extension is/was with Google search, but GC has a list of supported file extensions here:
http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphic-converter/key-features/import-and-export-formats/

If so, they also offer a free trial, in which I'd use GC to convert every one of your files to .SVG. From what I read on another site (a Lineform review), SVG was better for conveying Lineform gradients and other filters into other vector programs.

IF, I realize it's a big if but knock wood, --you can get Lineform to work again or Graphic Converter will work on your files, convert them all to svg, eps, AND pdfs as soon as possible, cover your bases and jettison Lineform.

Inkscape is powerful and free, or depending on your version of OS X, you can get something simpler to use (though not as powerful) such as iDraw for $30 or so. (Personally, I love it.) If you are pre-Lion & Mountain Lion, you can also now download CS2 for free from Adobe's site, --which includes Illustrator.

Those programs won't work with your proprietary Lineform files, but once converted --or simply going forward, they are something for you to consider.

Good luck --I hope something works for you, a restart, a TM backup, GC, --something!

hazardgremlin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Your registration file for Lineform is most likely corrupted.

Lineform stores the registration file as an invisible file in the ColorPickers folder of your user's Library folder; the Library folder is also invisible, if you are using OS 10.6 (or may be .5) and above.

The file is called .com.freeverselib.06020.

If you have ever saved the entire contents of your user folder then an uncorrupted file may be there and you need to first delete the corrupted file and then second copy over the uncorrupted file.

Just went through the same hassle; this is how I found this thread.

The other option is to beg, barrow, or steal someone else's uncorrupted file.

Don't see any other options as Freeverse looks to have gone the same way as the dodo and when you try to input your registration code, Lineform is trying to contact Freeverse to complete the registration process; kind of hard to complete the registration process (or re-register) when no one is home.

After this, I will be making a second backup of this file and saving all my Lineform files as an .svg; also taking a look at Inkscape that CrickettGrrl recommended

nocturne5891

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Wish I had read this thread before...

... so that I would know to clone my disk instead of just backing up my home folder.

I had to reformat my Mac due to a harddrive failure, and then proceeded to reinstall everything. Ran into the issue with Lineform. Looked it up and found this thread. Registered for the forum. I had a backup of my home folder, so I copied the license file to the new install.

Before the copy, Lineform was running in the 30-day trial version.
After the copy, it said the trial run was over and I had to register.:mad:

So I'm now worse off than I was before. I'm also totally screwed -- 5+ years of all my graphics work is now locked and inaccessible. :(

I don't believe my license file is corrupt; Lineform was working fine at the time I made the backup, and I even did a full file integrity check on my last backup. It seems like there might be some other file involved here aside from the license file. That, or the license file might be timestamped, or might have info on the mac version being installed, or some other kind of DRM.

The converter program suggested above doesn't seem to support Lineform image types, so no luck there.

I'm pretty much at wit's end -- I'd even be willing to shell out real money to re-buy the software if it meant I could access all my graphics files again.

Please, can anyone out there help?
:(

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
... so that I would know to clone my disk instead of just backing up my home folder.

I had to reformat my Mac due to a harddrive failure, and then proceeded to reinstall everything. Ran into the issue with Lineform. Looked it up and found this thread. Registered for the forum. I had a backup of my home folder, so I copied the license file to the new install.

So I'm now worse off than I was before. I'm also totally screwed -- 5+ years of all my graphics work is now locked and inaccessible. :(

I don't believe my license file is corrupt; Lineform was working fine at the time I made the backup, and I even did a full file integrity check on my last backup. It seems like there might be some other file involved here aside from the license file. That, or the license file might be timestamped, or might have info on the mac version being installed, or some other kind of DRM.

The converter program suggested above doesn't seem to support Lineform image types, so no luck there.

I'm pretty much at wit's end -- I'd even be willing to shell out real money to re-buy the software if it meant I could access all my graphics files again.

I ran into a weird problem recently where Manga Studio 5 had glitches running in my main user account in Snow Leopard. Any other account in SL was fine, new ones, old ones, any account NOT my main user account. So this is grasping at straws, just a suggestion, try opening your LF files in another user account, or make a new one and test it.

Another grasp at straws, --resetting the date/time on your Mac?

--Just a thought, but are your LF files viewable with Quick View? I just wonder if they are, if they could be saved to PDF in Preview.

Last edited:

rt993mk

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013

Oh no...

I'm wondering if you found a solution. I'm exactly in the same spot as Lineform today decided it wants re-register. Which is great if the software relies on a registration server that was turned off.

I tried copying the colorpicker file from a backup but Lineform still insists the trial has expired.

I'm completely screwed now.

Thanks!
Markus

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Oh no...

I'm wondering if you found a solution. I'm exactly in the same spot as Lineform today decided it wants re-register. Which is great if the software relies on a registration server that was turned off.

I tried copying the colorpicker file from a backup but Lineform still insists the trial has expired.

I'm completely screwed now.

Thanks!
Markus

What if you reset your computer time/date to a week or two in the past?

rt993mk

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
The author of Lineform is Will Thimblely who is still active here:

http://will.thimbleby.net

Since I found no contact information, I commented on one of his blog entries (to no avail). Maybe if others with this issue chime in, he could be persuaded to provide some sort of solution so that we can at least export the artwork to a different format.

Regards
Markus

lxbnks

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
Solution

Suggestions to use Inkscape really bug me as it's without a doubt the worst piece of Mac software I've ever used. Sure, it's feature-rich, very capable and open source, but interface-wise it's an absolute disaster. Lineform is incredibly easy to use, and until Freeverse abandoned it I had high hopes that it'd become a really great piece of software. If only they'd fixed that undo bug...

Anyway, I had the same problem as you, and it looks like Will (its creator) did too. A Lineform 1.5 version that doesn't require registration is available from his website: http://will.thimbleby.net/downloads/Lineform.app.zip (Edit: still working with Mavericks, too)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

luz42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I have the same problem, but apparently I'm too late - the linked file does not exist any more :-( Anybody who has it and is ready to share it?

Anyway, I had the same problem as you, and it looks like Will (its creator) did too. A Lineform 1.5 version that doesn't require registration is available from his website: http://will.thimbleby.net/downloads/Lineform.app.zip (Edit: still working with Mavericks, too)

luz42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Still works for me...

Thanks for reporting this - so I tried again today and indeed the link worked! It definitely didn't back in November, but apparently that was only a temporary problem.
Lineform runs again! :)

robinc

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
major problem with linefrom

I to have the problem of time expiry mentioned above.

As suggested I downloaded from http://will.thimbleby.net/downloads/Lineform.app.zip
The programme seems to install fine but as soon as I try and run it before anything happens as far as I can see, it comes up with 'lineform quit unexpectedly'

I have deleted old versions. restarted and even downloaded an old version from the web which installed fine and came up with the time expiry problem.

Any suggestions?!

Robin

lxbnks

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
What version of OS X are you using?

It doesn't work for me on Snow Leopard (with the same issue as you), but it is fine on Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

robinc

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Lineform problems

Many thanks for your reply. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I cant remember what that is called. This is a MacBook Pro 5,1 and have had it several years.

lxbnks

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
10.6.8 is Snow Leopard. If you really need Lineform, you might be best upgrading, either to Mavericks (free), or one of the intermediate versions.

robinc

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Major problem line for

Thanks, I have installed Mavericks and I can use lineform again. Just hope I have not made a big mistake as my laptop is now a lot slower..

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT- my workaround doesn't work, you get a big fat watermark in exported images. I downloaded the 1.5 version above, and it seems to work well on Mavericks.

Last edited:

Mirsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Invisible registration files not being recognized

Hi. I don't know if anyone still reads this thread.

I just bought a new Mac Mini. I transferred all my files from my old iMac to the Mini, including the invisible registration files. Those files did make Lineform recognize I'd registered on the iMac, but they aren't working on the Mini. Both computers are running Yosemite. Does anyone know why it might not be working? Thanks.

Kiki61

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I was just curious if anyone has gotten Lineform to work reliably with any OS newer than Mavericks?

Last edited:

lxbnks

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
It seems to work fine for me on Yosemite. I did have a problem with export resolution in a previous version of OS X, and had to change the default from 72 to 36 to get the exported size to be correct, but apart from this everything seems to work.

Personally, I've finally switched away from Lineform after discovering Affinity Designer - all of the features of Illustrator with the speed and user-friendliness that I'm used to from Lineform. It doesn't read Lineform documents, but I just exported everything to PDF and then imported into Affinity. I still keep Lineform around just in case, though ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.