Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wynnandrewj

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Another ?

Another question I didn't think to ask before. Must the Verizon line be active for 60 days, or must that specific iPhone be active on the line for 60 days. Eg. can I buy a 4s, put it on a line on my family plan that has been in good standing for more than 60 days, call Verizon to unlock it, and then put the original phone back on the line leaving my 4s unlocked?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
^ kind of curious on that question, but in a different manner.

I got my phone unlocked by Verizon as I purchased it from them when it released. Anyway, if I bought a new phone and thus removing the 4s from my account, can it still be used unlocked on a foreign carrier without it being tied to a verizon account? Like if I sold the phone to someone that needed the unlocked SIM. Thanks!

Eunicebright

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Would really want to know the answer to that question as well. Can I still be able to use my iPhone unlocked with a foreign sim if I choose the cancel that line of service from Verizon or replace it with another phone?

Last edited:

wynnandrewj

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Another question I didn't think to ask before. Must the Verizon line be active for 60 days, or must that specific iPhone be active on the line for 60 days. Eg. can I buy a 4s, put it on a line on my family plan that has been in good standing for more than 60 days, call Verizon to unlock it, and then put the original phone back on the line leaving my 4s unlocked?

Resolved. Didn't need to be on the active phone line. I bought it on eBay and the minute I got the IMEI called VZW, put it on a line that hasn't had a phone on it for months, had them unlock it, and then put a dumb phone back on the line so as not to pay for data.

marksmith12

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
iPhone Unlock in Easy Way

There can be multiple way to unlock iphone but depends on how much time you have to spent. If you have much time to spent on unlocking iphone then you can go through any way by searching over internet. If you are professional and don't have much time then it is best to use any third party service to unlock iphone. However, it is not free and requires some amount from you but it trusty and secure. Go to Unlock iPhone for effective third party services.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
There can be multiple way to unlock iphone but depends on how much time you have to spent. If you have much time to spent on unlocking iphone then you can go through any way by searching over internet. If you are professional and don't have much time then it is best to use any third party service to unlock iphone. However, it is not free and requires some amount from you but it trusty and secure. Go to Unlock iPhone for effective third party services.

No, I think the easy route is to follow the instructions in this thread. Why would I pay someone when vzw will do it quickly and for free? :rolleyes:

jacksmit

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Moving permanently to South Africa

Can I unlock it this way and will it always work despite the fact that I might never come back to the states?

bargainstinker

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
I made the mistake of not making sure my iphone 4s was unlocked before leaving the country. Now I am in Europe and Verizon claims they sent the unlock code to my phone but they only receive an error message back.

They claim I need to be on the Verizon network for the unlock to complete. Since I am over seas I can only connect to wifi.

Is there anyway to still unlock it or am I stuck with a phone that will not work in Europe?

b-harrington

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
borrow a verizon line to unlock an iphone

you said you could borrow someone's verizon line to request for an unlock for you iphone. what type of line does it have to be? and what do you do? you just insert their sim in your phone and they say its theirs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.