Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboticMarble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I'm following the guide for "remotely controlling another mac" that I found on this forum. Here's what I am trying to accomplish and here is my problem:

I'm giving my old laptop to my husband's parents who live in Scotland, where we are now visiting. We want to be able to access it in case they encounter problems, lose files, need software updates, etc. We're computer savvy: they are not. The problem is, I do not have my new laptop (yet) and my husband's computer is at home in the States. So I can not set up our administrative side of the remote access. I have prepped this client computer as far as I could. I installed Chicken of the VNC and ARD client and set up the system preferences to allow access. The only step I have to do is set up the extra security through terminal, which I can't do because I obviously don't have the administrator computer with me.

Any help on what else I should be doing? Is there a way around this until I have access to my admin computer, or will I just need to phone his parents and guide them through the remaining steps? (Really not preferred, so I'm asking for help/tips here first.)

The client computer is a macbook pro, up to date on software and OS. I'll be getting a new macbook pro once we return home from our holiday.

Thanks for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.