Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hi all

Ok....

I have a yet-to-be ipad 4 still plastic wrapped in the box that I am taking with me on holiday. If I take this through airport security, do you suspect they'll make me remove the clear plastic and open box the unit, or most likely they will just let it go through seeing it is gift season?

Thoughts?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I would think they let it go through. They don't even make you take an iPad out of your luggage for inspection the way they do a laptop. I don't see why the cardboard packaging would be any harder to scan through than a briefcase / computer bag...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the odds are pretty good that they'll want to see the iPad and thus have you open the box.

----------

I would think they let it go through. They don't even make you take an iPad out of your luggage for inspection the way they do a laptop. I don't see why the cardboard packaging would be any harder to scan through than a briefcase / computer bag...

I think the difference there is that the iPad is not in the box.

I've been in the airport a number of times and I've always needed to pull out my iPad, MBP and cameras for the TSA, so I see no difference in doing that for an iPad in a box

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Hi all

Ok....

I have a yet-to-be ipad 4 still plastic wrapped in the box that I am taking with me on holiday. If I take this through airport security, do you suspect they'll make me remove the clear plastic and open box the unit, or most likely they will just let it go through seeing it is gift season?

Thoughts?

Always have your iPad in sight of you when near someone from the TSA because alot of them will steal it. No joking.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for the input. I think I'll remove the shrinkwrap at home before we go to the airport tonight, seeing as how I'll be doing that anyway in a few days. I'd rather remove it at home rather than trying to it during the bustle of security. I'm traveling for the first time with our 6 month old, too, so I'll have enough to worry about :)

Per the link Nothlit posted, I'll leave the ipad in the box in my bag, and remove it if asked.

And good point bout watching for theft. Got a 5d mark III in the bag, too. My eyes will be on that bag. Maybe even our baby, too. haha

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
In case anyone is interested... I never removed the iPad box from my back pack, so I imagine I could have kept the shrink wrap on the box should I wanted to.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
They will not make you unwrap them. I brought 2 sealed iPads overseas before and had no issue. The did make us take them out of the backpack and rescan because they were stacked in the bag and they couldn't scan them.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
They should not need to remove it unless the X-ray operator calls for a baggage inspection, and that person explicitly asks to have it opened. To avoid this from occurring, try not to place any other electronic or highly dense (lumps of clay) items above or below it. They are expected to call for baggage inspection when they cannot decipher the contents as something not potentially dangerous. I assure you that they have seen many iPads in bags with the charger on top, so there really isn't anything too confusing about a boxed ipad. Again it's more about the surrounding clutter that may cause doubt.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
All you experts are talking out of your... There is no "they will" or "they won't". There is only "they might" or they might not". It depends on who is manning the line, what airport, etc. It's purely luck of the draw.

I have yet to be asked to take my iPad out of the case or even out of the bag I carried it in. Heck I've flown on a flight with a pocket knife I forgot to leave at home.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I think the odds are pretty good that they'll want to see the iPad and thus have you open the box.

----------

I think the difference there is that the iPad is not in the box.

I've been in the airport a number of times and I've always needed to pull out my iPad, MBP and cameras for the TSA, so I see no difference in doing that for an iPad in a box

The MBA doesn't even need to be pulled out of your bag due to how thin it is, I see no difference with an iPad. I never pull mine out.

OP, just call the airport you're going through.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The MBA doesn't even need to be pulled out of your bag due to how thin it is, I see no difference with an iPad. I never pull mine out.

OP, just call the airport you're going through.

It depends who is working the line. I got to take out my 11in MBA. Not gonna argue since I like having my freedom. Plus I'm brown skin :D

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The OP has had their question resolved by the TSA themselves... However, for anyone in the future who is reading this thread, just keep in mind that policies can change - overnight. That different airports will have different procedures. That for any reason at all you may be asked to show your device to a screener. Or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.