Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 18, 2015, 08:59 PM   #3101
JamesMike
macrumors Demi-God

A friend recommend a freebie from Amazon, 'The Devil Will Come' by Glenn Cooper. Sometimes Amazon's freebie are very good, will find out.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:38 PM   #3102
Don't panic
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
A surprisingly large parcel - incredibly closely wrapped - arrived today. I suspected what it was, (as I had corresponded with the sender only a few days earlier) but I still had to use a Swiss Army Knife to actually open the package.

Anyway, it turned out to be an overdue (it had taken over a fortnight to arrive), but very welcome batch of books by the late, great, Sir Terry Prachett.

Three fat hard-backs, each comprising a trilogy. The 'Witches' trilogy,(which contains 'Equal Rites', 'Wyrd Sisters', and 'Witches Abroad'), along with and the 'Gods' trilogy, (which comprises of 'Pyramids', 'Small Gods' and 'Hogfather'), and the 'Death' trilogy (which comprises 'Mort', 'Reaper Man' and 'Soul Music').

Terrific stuff.
nice !

on a related note, i am currently reading

good stuff
Don't panic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015, 12:42 PM   #3103
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Well, I am currently re-reading my way through 'The Witches' trilogy. And the hardback edition is just gorgeous.

'Equal Rites' is really very good, but 'Wyrd Sisters' is just brilliant. Parts of it are laugh out loud funny, with sharp asides and insights apparently casually tossed in to the brew. Classy and sharp, writing, and very, very witty story-telling on so many different levels.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015, 04:33 PM   #3104
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Well, I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but Granny Weatherwax is one of my very favourite characters in all of conceived, crafted and wonderfully created fiction.

I used to say to my students (when the topic of writers such as Terry Prachett cam dup in class) that this is who I wanted to be when I grew upů..
Old May 21, 2015, 07:09 AM   #3105
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Well, I re-read 'Witches Abroad' (by the late, great Sir Terry Prachett) yesterday. This is a rollicking, hilarious read, laugh out loud funny in parts, and sharp as a stiletto in others. Brilliant.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:40 AM   #3106
Don't panic
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well, I re-read 'Witches Abroad' (by the late, great Sir Terry Prachett) yesterday. This is a rollicking, hilarious read, laugh out loud funny in parts, and sharp as a stiletto in others. Brilliant.
this one i haven't read.

currently reading

non-fiction. an account of the ongoing (and from the relatively recent past) mass extinctions in some ways associated to our taking over the planet

moe for a lay audience, but a so far it's very good

Last edited by Don't panic; May 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015, 10:59 AM   #3107
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
this one i haven't read.

currently reading

non-fiction. an account the ongoing (and from the relatively recent past) mass extinctions in some ways associated to our tasking over the planet
moe for a lay audience, but a so far it's very good
If you liked 'Wyrd Sisters' (and I loved it), this is more of the same but with a canvas that goes far beyond Lancre; in fact, - eventually - they end up in a place called 'Genua' which seems to be the Discworld's take on New Orleans during the Mardi Gras.

There are hysterically funny grace notes offering brief (but hilarious) homage to a wide variety of cinematic and literary references, (great fun to spot) and some wonderful set pieces. Well worth reading. The character development of the three witches are fleshed out a bit more, too.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:47 PM   #3108
Don't panic
macrumors 601

Quote:
If you liked 'Wyrd Sisters' (and I loved it), this is more of the same but with a canvas that goes far beyond Lancre; in fact, - eventually - they end up in a place called 'Genua' which seems to be the Discworld's take on New Orleans during the Mardi Gras.

There are hysterically funny grace notes offering brief (but hilarious) homage to a wide variety of cinematic and literary references, (great fun to spot) and some wonderful set pieces. Well worth reading. The character development of the three witches are fleshed out a bit more, too.
wyrd sisters is the Shakespeare one, right?
i mix them up

i need to re-read the early books, since i read them so long ago
Don't panic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015, 01:06 PM   #3109
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
wyrd sisters is the Shakespeare one, right?
i mix them up

i need to re-read the early books, since i read them so long ago
Yes, 'Wyrd Sisters' is a sort of homage to both MacBeth, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Hamlet. The character 'Hwel' (the dwarf playwright), also references some very funny stuff as he imagines plays he could write.

Meanwhile, 'Witches Abroad' references Dracula, a fleeting greeting to Gollum, Hemingway's 'The Sun Also Rises' (a sequence that is sidesplittingly hilarious), The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, among countless other tales, and movies.

It is very, very funny but also - as was always the case with Terry Prachett, both humane and very sharp.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:46 AM   #3110
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a

Can't put this down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51IoUVYw6fL.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	554672  
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #3111
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quite recently, I read a number of books on the Amish, among them Ira Wagler's excellent and powerfully written 'Growing Up Amish'.

Wagler also writes an interesting and thoughtful blog.

One of his recent entries looked at the topic of change within traditional societies, and how changes are resisted and repudiated, and how this tradition of resisting and rejecting change - especially change in the form of technology - developed.

Obviously, much of this is discussed from the perspective of the Amish, but the blog entry also muses about how some of these changes - the effects of which may well be utterly transformative, something which is insufficiently realised - may well prove impossible to resist (here he mentioned specifically the impact of iPod and the iPhone).

It is a very interesting read, and well worth a look, and is a deeper and more thoughtful treatment of this topic from an angle not much discussed, or even noticed.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
book, movies, sci-fi