Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mahger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I installed the 3rd party xbox 360 controller driver for the mac, and now I need to uninstall it. I got Guitar Hero 3, and my X-plorer wont work with it. Ive heard that the driver I have installed can cause this, and I have rules out everything else, so it must be this driver. Since the driver doesnt install itself in the applications folder, I tried removing the preference pane and taking it out of the startup folder, but my guitar still works in programs like frets on fire, and still doesnt work in Guitar Hero. I also emailed the developer on how to uninstall it, but I have not received a response.
Thanks

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Did you just control click and remove it from the Preference Pane or did you actually delete the file? It's located in /<hard Drive name>/Library/Preference Panes.

maxly23

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
Hey, i was having problems with this as well.
I'm not sure which driver you're using, but I was able to fix my problem by removing the file 360Controller.kext from the /system/library/extentions folder.
Reboot, and it should work.
Again, this was the drivers downloaded from tattiebogle.net, might not work for everyone
Hope that helps

KennyDolfan®

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2006
I'm having the same exact problem.
I deleted EVERY trace of that 360 controller thing from tattiebogie.net
and it ended up erasing my Guitar hero 3 history,Plus my X-plorer controller STILL does not work.So i erased Guitar hero 3 from my Mac..and reinstalled it...still refuses to work.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
I donated to the developer and asked him how to uninstall. That was like a year ago and no reply and no info on hist site how to unistall. Real bugger.

floxy31

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
I installed this driver on my retina macbook pro with Mountain Lion and the result is that my mbp turns off in 12 seconds ... usually turned off in 3 seconds ... I really don't know what to do :(
I tried to uninstalled it: Library/PreferencePanes, I deleted the xbox360controller file. In "Preference" there is not the icon but the macbook still takes 12 seconds to turn off ...

Last edited:

actionscripted

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Note: this information was put together January 4th, 2013 (2013-01-04) and it's possible the author of the driver may have changed things since.

How to uninstall the Xbox 360 controller driver from TattieBogle (http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver):

1. Remove the following files:
    1. /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane
    2. /Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon
    3. /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
    4. /System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext
    5. /System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Done!

I've gone through every bit of this driver package and cannot find anything to worry about beyond these files. All the PKG installer is doing is copying these from the PKG to places on your system. While a PKG can do things that aren't necessarily reported in lsbom or pkginfo, TattieBogle's driver installer isn't. Once you've removed the files above, you're all set.

To view exactly what the PKG installed:

• Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app
  • Run
    Code:
    pkgutil --pkgs | grep 360
    to find the id used by the installer, likely
    Code:
    com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller
  • Run
    Code:
    pkgutil --files com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller
    to view a list of files installed by the program

You can also browse the downloaded PKG as a folder using either Terminal or right-clicking it and selecting "Show Package Contents".

Dismal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Hi,

I'm stuck with this new version of the driver that doesn't work. (the latest version available on tattieboogie.net)
I did exactly what you said by deleting those files because I wanted to install an older version of the Xbox controller driver that actualy works.
Unhopefully, it didn't work, when i try to install another version it says that it's impossible 'cause there'is still another version installed.

Do you have any clue?

Thx

JasonRitchie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

I'm stuck with this new version of the driver that doesn't work. (the latest version available on tattieboogie.net)
I did exactly what you said by deleting those files because I wanted to install an older version of the Xbox controller driver that actualy works.
Unhopefully, it didn't work, when i try to install another version it says that it's impossible 'cause there'is still another version installed.

Do you have any clue?

Thx

So once the files are removed you may have to tell your Mac to "forget" about that package. I would imagine that a real uninstall procedure would remove the files listed with this command:
Code:

And then it would remove the package itself with this command:
Code:
pkgutil --forget com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller

d4rkwolf

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
So once the files are removed you may have to tell your Mac to "forget" about that package. I would imagine that a real uninstall procedure would remove the files listed with this command:
Code:

And then it would remove the package itself with this command:
Code:
pkgutil --forget com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller

It's not allowing me to "forget" the package :( This is the Terminal message I am getting when I follow those steps:

ScreenShot2013-01-29at14010AM_zps5e655b12.png

What can I do now?

sidjug

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Hi,

Do you have any clue?

Thx

I have the exact same problem. I can't get my xplorer guitar to work with my mac (running snow leopard 10.6.8)
I've installed the lastest version of the drivers (downloaded from tattiebogle), but the green light on the guitar keeps blinking and the guitar isn't recognized as a controller.
This is where I got the closest to the solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2134285?start=0&tstart=0
but unfortunately the download link has expired and probably it was referred to an older version of the driver.
So here we are. How do I get the ********** guitar speak to my mac ? :D
Thanks in advance for any help

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Note: this information was put together January 4th, 2013 (2013-01-04) and it's possible the author of the driver may have changed things since.

1. Remove the following files:
    1. /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane
    2. /Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon
    3. /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
    4. /System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext
    5. /System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Done!

This looks even being from Jan already a bit outdated. I am runing 10.8.2 I checked the package content by the "pkgutil --file" and the file/folder list looks to be the following currently:

1. /Library/Application Support/MICE/360Daemon
  2. /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mice.360Daemon.plist
  3. /Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane
  4. /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
  5. /System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext
  6. /System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
Especially daemon related stuff is different

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
It's not allowing me to "forget" the package :( This is the Terminal message I am getting when I follow those steps:

What can I do now?

After opening terminal - did you execute command "sudo su -"?
Such operations needs root as usually protected and only executed by subroutines.
BUT if you were not aware so far - be careful. There is not any further layer protecting your system - except TimeMachine. ;-)
Executed as root the "forgot" works for me.

----------

The manual uninstall works so far - for me.
Originally it was worse for me. After installing the driver the controller was not recognized without having it plugged in BEFORE but. Any unplug when system was up caused system crash.
BUT during installation (as by the instructions) I had already the controller plugged in. This was the recommendation if you like to use the controller directly without reboot. I will give it another try, with a clean installation. If it doesn't work it must be someting ML related, as comments show satisfaction for all earlier OS versions.

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
So - clean install of the last version 0.12 (same as used before) works now. Clean means - without controller plugged in and reboot after.
After reboot controller will be properly recognized when plugged in and can be unplugged anytime without system crash.
As most of you interested just into remove it this somehow confirms my folder/file list works incl. pkg forget. So hope this helps for you as well.
As I used 10.8.2 this may defer for other OS version.
So I clearly recommend to use

to verify location of files and folders.

Hope this helps.

pekapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Not working for me...

I completely uninstall and forgot the package, restarted, installed the newest driver (controller unplugged), restarted again and the controller is not identified and an unplug causes the system to crash... =/

I'm running a Retina MBP Mid2012 with Mountain Lion, 10.8.2

Any suggestions? Should I try an older version of the driver (0.11 perhaps) or does anyone knows other drivers for the 360 controller?

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Not working for me...

I completely uninstall and forgot the package, restarted, installed the newest driver (controller unplugged), restarted again and the controller is not identified and an unplug causes the system to crash... =/

I'm running a Retina MBP Mid2012 with Mountain Lion, 10.8.2

Any suggestions? Should I try an older version of the driver (0.11 perhaps) or does anyone knows other drivers for the 360 controller?

Did you check for different folder list I presented? Did you doublecheck after you uninstalled? If all files really removed and package forgot, there should anymore an issue with the old installation.
Still there is an option usb device on your MBP has some differences in driver. From my perspective - very unlikely.

pekapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Did you check for different folder list I presented? Did you doublecheck after you uninstalled? If all files really removed and package forgot, there should anymore an issue with the old installation.
Still there is an option usb device on your MBP has some differences in driver. From my perspective - very unlikely.

Just tried everything again... double checking every step and restarting between all of them...

If I plug the controller with the system running it will work on the first 3s and than stop. Unplug causes the system to crash.

If I plug with the computer off and than turn it on the controller works and if I unplug it won't crash... Didn't tried to plug again to see if works or not (will do it latter).

I also tried both USB ports on the mac...
I'll keep trying tomorrow... enough crashes for one day... xP

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Just tried everything again... double checking every step and restarting between all of them...

If I plug the controller with the system running it will work on the first 3s and than stop. Unplug causes the system to crash.

If I plug with the computer off and than turn it on the controller works and if I unplug it won't crash... Didn't tried to plug again to see if works or not (will do it latter).

I also tried both USB ports on the mac...
I'll keep trying tomorrow... enough crashes for one day... xP

This sounds to me as if there are still not all settings/files deleted.
I would propose you check with

specifically for YOUR system and delete all files/folders listed.
Did you use "rm -r" to delete the files/folders? Did you doublecheck the files/folders not existing anymore? Did you empty trash?
You may like to doublecheck with "Find Any File" while this tool really find any file in opposite to Spotlight. ;-)

pekapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
This sounds to me as if there are still not all settings/files deleted.
I would propose you check with

specifically for YOUR system and delete all files/folders listed.
Did you use "rm -r" to delete the files/folders? Did you doublecheck the files/folders not existing anymore? Did you empty trash?
You may like to doublecheck with "Find Any File" while this tool really find any file in opposite to Spotlight. ;-)

Yep, I opened 2 terminal, ran pkgutil in one and removed all the files and folders with sudo rm and sudo rm -rf
I also checked everything with ls on the directory they were...
I even forgot the package with sudo just to make sure... I ran pkgutil --pkgs | grep 360 to check and it was indeed forgotten...

hulster

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Yep, I opened 2 terminal, ran pkgutil in one and removed all the files and folders with sudo rm and sudo rm -rf
I also checked everything with ls on the directory they were...
I even forgot the package with sudo just to make sure... I ran pkgutil --pkgs | grep 360 to check and it was indeed forgotten...

That all looks sufficient. I stuck here as you.
Only I didn't see you doublecheck with a search tool like "Find Any File", as I recommended.

pekapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
That all looks sufficient. I stuck here as you.
Only I didn't see you doublecheck with a search tool like "Find Any File", as I recommended.

Tried everything again, checked with Find Any File this time... same thing... =
Updated to 10.8.3 and tried again... No differences...
I just need to get used to reboot every time I want to play... xP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.