Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
I had a relatively minor issue solved today at the Genius bar and as standard process they ran a bunch of disk utilities on my machine to make sure there were no problems with it. They said the disk was fine.

But I noticed after I had left that one of my partitions didn't mount - my exFAT data partition. In looking at Disk Utility the partition doesn't pass verify. Verify shows...

Invalid sector size: 0
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

...But it also shows it as Format: MS-DOS (FAT)

Does anyone have an exFAT partition they wouldn't mind checking the Format description? I bet it should say exFAT rather than FAT. Also, anyone think I should click "Repair Disk"? Any other advice?

Yes there is some data on that drive which is not currently backed up.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
...But it also shows it as Format: MS-DOS (FAT)

Does anyone have an exFAT partition they wouldn't mind checking the Format description? I bet it should say exFAT rather than FAT.

Mount Point : /Volumes/Untitled Capacity : 7.75 GB (7,746,568,704 Bytes)
Format : ExFAT Available : 6.81 GB (6,811,648,000 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No Used : 932.8 MB (932,806,656 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 0 Number of Files : 28,467

Yep, mine shows as ExFAT. It was formatted in Windows Vista, but Mountain Lion said it needed repairing. It also said the name was too long, and renamed it "Untitled". It seems to be limited to 11 characters, but Windows was happy with 15.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
It also said the name was too long, and renamed it "Untitled". It seems to be limited to 11 characters, but Windows was happy with 15.
Mine was simply called "Data" and got renamed as well when corrupted by OSX.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
exFAT is intended for media used in cameras and phones because it has lower overhead than NTFS. For HDD/SSD, you should use either HFSJ or NTFS. exFAT has one FAT, so it's actually less resilient than FAT12/16/32. People need to stop using exFAT as a go between for Windows and OS X. That's not what it's good for.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Mac Mini 2010 server: exFat on internal HDD works fine. (both under Lion and Mountain Lion)
Mac Mini 2011 base model: exFat on internal HDD does not work. (Lion)

External Raid: exFat works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.