Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Apple Let a Hilariously Fake “Halo 4” into the App Store

Did you guys hear about the Halo 4 port on iPhone and iPad? Apparently Microsoft and 343 Industries have the whole thing running on both the iPhone and iPad and it's just five bucks and the only difference is it's just a chess game and not even a little related to Halo. Oh.

So uh, here's what's going on: There's a $5 app in the App Store called Halo 4. It's a chess game. But its description is basically the full rundown of Halo 4, and its attendant screenshots are all of Halo 4, even the iPhone versions which are the total wrong aspect ratio. And then there are the 206 reviews (4.5-star average), which are quite positive, aside from a few people who are apparently not robots:

http://gizmodo.com/5970489/apple-let-a-hilariously-fake-halo-4-into-the-app-store

I don't think Apple even looks at the apps submitted as long as they give it the required 30% cut for all transactions. How does something so blatantly fake make it through?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't think Apple even looks at the apps submitted as long as they give it the required 30% cut for all transactions. How does something so blatantly fake make it through?
Can the screenshots and description be changed by the developer on-the-fly?

I think so, because they're always adding blurbs in the descriptions when crap goes on sale, and I know they don't have to resubmit their app everytime they want to do a price change.

In other words, did the developer submit the app with the appropriate description and screen shots, get it approved, and then circle around back and change them?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Can the screenshots and description be changed by the developer on-the-fly?

I think so, because they're always adding blurbs in the descriptions when crap goes on sale, and I know they don't have to resubmit their app everytime they want to do a price change.

In other words, did the developer submit the app with the appropriate description and screen shots, get it approved, and then circle around back and change them?

Most certainly what happened that's how it was always done in the past.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Most certainly what happened that's how it was always done in the past.
Be interesting to see if Apple refunds the customers and withholds the payments to the developer. IIRC, developers get paid by Apple once a month or something like that.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Apple probably won't refund customers. They'll find a clause in the TOS that says download apps at your own risk or something like that.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Gone?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-21 at 3.19.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-21 at 3.19.52 PM.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 75

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Kudos to the developers for pulling this crap when they thought the App Store team was on break! lol

Apple Reminds Developers of App Store Freeze During Holidays
Apple has sent reminders to App Store developers that the annual shutdown of iTunes Connect is scheduled to take place from Friday, December 21, 2012 to Friday, December 28th, 2012.

iTunes Connect is the portal for developers to submit app updates and changes. As a result, no new apps, app updates or price changes will be reflected in the App Store during that time.
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/20/apple-reminds-developers-of-app-store-freeze-during-holidays/

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Looks like Apple's put an end to the scam those developers were using.

Apple Now Locking Screenshots for Submitted Apps, Shutting Down Popular Scam Tactic

Also, as for Apple having the incentive to not address this issue because of the 30% cut they make, "Apple has refunded the purchase price of scam apps in the past"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.